Moving Quail Outside Questions

themadbackpacker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Our brooder is inside right now as it's winter and Michigan has been bitter cold this year. I've build my Coturnix a nice hutch that's in my pole barn right now. I would love to move them into it (and keep the hutch inside until spring) but I don't want them to freeze. When would be a good age to move them into the hutch?

Bear in mind, the temp is running around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Will putting a heat lamp in the hutch be enough to keep them going?

Thank you all so much!

Just need the latches and steel roof!

How old are they? It is a big change from 70 deg to 15 deg. I think you could with a heat lamp or two but it is a big chance in my mind.

By the way nice hutch!! Did you have plans for it or a do it all yourself project? I would like a hutch like that one!

They're just over 3 weeks old right now.

Thanks for the compliment! My father was a carpenter and I learned a lot from him. I just blueprint it out in my head and then go from there. Never was a big "plans" person. hehe

I don't move anything outside until after 4 weeks. I leave them on lamp until 4 weeks then move them outside and wean them off but I'm in central California. In your case by 5-6 weeks they should be fine as long as you block out the draft with plastic. Keep in mind in a wire floor cage you need to wrap it all the way to the ground so the wind isn't coming from below.

Excellent information, thank you! Drafts won't be a problem as the hutch will be in my barn until the weather warms up and stabilizes in the spring.

I really appreciate the help!

I have rabbits in the barn also, so I know all about the ammonia smell, so much that we clean them weekly! If they can outdo a buck rabbit then I'll tip my hat to them! :)

Back
Top Bottom