Moving Quail Outside Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by themadbackpacker, Feb 23, 2014.

1. themadbackpacker

themadbackpacker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Our brooder is inside right now as it's winter and Michigan has been bitter cold this year. I've build my Coturnix a nice hutch that's in my pole barn right now. I would love to move them into it (and keep the hutch inside until spring) but I don't want them to freeze. When would be a good age to move them into the hutch?

Bear in mind, the temp is running around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Will putting a heat lamp in the hutch be enough to keep them going?

Thank you all so much!

[​IMG]
    Just need the latches and steel roof!

2. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    How old are they? It is a big change from 70 deg to 15 deg. I think you could with a heat lamp or two but it is a big chance in my mind.

By the way nice hutch!! Did you have plans for it or a do it all yourself project? I would like a hutch like that one!

3. themadbackpacker

Mar 22, 2011
    They're just over 3 weeks old right now.

Thanks for the compliment! My father was a carpenter and I learned a lot from him. I just blueprint it out in my head and then go from there. Never was a big "plans" person. hehe

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't move anything outside until after 4 weeks. I leave them on lamp until 4 weeks then move them outside and wean them off but I'm in central California. In your case by 5-6 weeks they should be fine as long as you block out the draft with plastic. Keep in mind in a wire floor cage you need to wrap it all the way to the ground so the wind isn't coming from below.

5. themadbackpacker

Mar 22, 2011
    Excellent information, thank you! Drafts won't be a problem as the hutch will be in my barn until the weather warms up and stabilizes in the spring.

I really appreciate the help!

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are in the barn, you won't have any problems. You might want to spread some kitty litter around the turd tray though because the ammonia smell gets strong quick.

7. themadbackpacker

Mar 22, 2011
    I have rabbits in the barn also, so I know all about the ammonia smell, so much that we clean them weekly! If they can outdo a buck rabbit then I'll tip my hat to them! :)

8. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    I know my buck is a real stinker also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by