Moving roosts for winter?

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
So i have 3 wooden ladders that lead to a roost bar. During the summer i have it propped up near the windows to get a nice breeze on summer nights. Should i rearrange the coop in the winter so they are away from the windows? I have been trying to adjust the design as i determine when things need help and then install on a more permanent basis.

This change would also mean that i move the best boxes as a result of the switch. The pic is back before i even moved the chickens in but it gives a better image of the set up.

Attachments

• 3C02276B-404C-4A99-AFFE-293F134FF270.jpeg
    3C02276B-404C-4A99-AFFE-293F134FF270.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 11
Is there anyway to close the windows at night? I’m not sure how cold your winters get but I add a way to close it at night and open up during the day for ventilation. But everyone’s winter is different

Hopefully you have other ventilation than just those windows...
....wait are they windows that close or just openings with mesh?

Are you in southern or northern Ohio?
Can be a big difference.

So at this point the windows are the only ventilation. They have glass, mesh screen and hardware cloth covering. Right now they are all closed and then one of the is cracked with th picture frame system i explained.

I live in northeast Ohio about 35 minutes south of Lake Erie. I was trying to figure out if i needed to add a different type of ventilation and seal the windows up completely once the temp drops more permanently.

So at this point the windows are the only ventilation. They have glass, mesh screen and hardware cloth covering. Right now they are all closed and then one of the is cracked with th picture frame system i explained.

I live in northeast Ohio about 35 minutes south of Lake Erie. I was trying to figure out if i needed to add a different type of ventilation and seal the windows up completely once the temp drops more permanently.
Yep, as long as windows are pretty well sealed when closed, you should not need to move roosts,
but there should be some other ventilation that is up high and protected from the weather.

Not sure what you mean by this tho.....
.... "then one of the is cracked with th picture frame system i explained"

Yep, as long as windows are pretty well sealed when closed, you should not need to move roosts,
but there should be some other ventilation that is up high and protected from the weather.

Not sure what you mean by this tho.....
.... "then one of the is cracked with th picture frame system i explained"
Lol i have a ventilation post going too and forgot where i was...haha oops!

Back
Top Bottom