Moving the chicks to their new big brooder

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well, the plan was to only get eight chicks, but of course, after several trips to the feed store, I ended up with 13 lovely little creatures who were quickly outgrowing their Rubbermaid brooder. I split them into two large tubs, and that helped for one more week, but now at week three, it was time for a larger area.

I built a basic frame using 2x4's pulled from construction debris (the one plus to all the new condos going up all over creation), as well as leftover OSB. It took myself and my Dad the better part of one hectic day, but we built and enclosed a six foot long by four feet wide by two feet tall brooder and put it in one foot tall legs.

When I went to finish it today, I discovered that the rivers of rain we've been getting here in the Seattle area had caused several leaks to spring up inside and cursed my foolishness for not having built one side higher than the other so the rain would run off the top instead of seep insides the cracks. There was fortunately some plastic laying around so I covered the top as best as I could and hammered up a divider in the brooder so the main wet area was walled off and the other half could be kept more warm while the girls are still so small.

I put in about three or four inches of pine shavings, hoping that it would help reduce the need to change out bedding so often. I have read about the deep litter method when brooding and was interested in seeing if it worked.

Here's a shot of the new housing for my little fuzzy dinosaurs:

Awesome. Brooder looks like it should work just fine! We just got 14 chicks our self (yesterday) and had the litter on the floor for them. Found out real quick that it wasn't going to work. It kept sticking to them and some kept trying to eat it! We quickly swept out the litter and use the ever popular pine shavings. Works great so far! (Other may have different experiences.)
old.gif

It looks great! The rain is going to be a challenge no matter what- so as long as you keep an eye on the brooder & change the shavings, the little ones won't even notice that it's damp outside :) It's their world, were just living in it.
Have you thought about getting a piece of cheap linoleum & placing it on the bottom? That way you can just shake it off, wipe it down, and move on to the fun! Works for me. I also use super cheap bath mats around my brooders so the bf doesn't have to vacuum every single time I change the bedding or spill something....which is constantly

Back
Top Bottom