Moving the Chicks?

TheChickychick1

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
I have 8 chicks, six of them who are now 2-3 weeks of age. They are getting a little rousy and irritated in their brooder. I was wondering if it was time to take them out to the hen house? We have electricity in there for a heat lamp. It's all ready for chicks, but I don't know if they're too small. Because ive seen videos if people taking their chicks outside at 2 weeks old so I really don't know. I just think it would be nice for the chicks to have room to spread their wings and run. Any advice?

I won't run a heat lamp in my coop personally, but if it's a nice day put them outside. Wire dog crates work well as long as you make sure they can't fit between the wires. It is good for them to run around and play in the grass/dirt. Put them out until dark and bring them in at night.

If you don't have older birds in the coop, if the coop is free of wind and wet, and there's a heat lamp available, no reason why not. There's nothing magical about a brooder, and it definitely does not need to be indoors. Lots of folks brood in the coop and/or outdoor buildings.

If you don't have older birds in the coop, if the coop is free of wind and wet, and there's a heat lamp available, no reason why not. There's nothing magical about a brooder, and it definitely does not need to be indoors. Lots of folks brood in the coop and/or outdoor buildings.
Yep - my chicks are outside from day one. Shelter, food, water, and some extra heat for a few weeks and they'll be fine.

I have 8 chicks, six of them who are now 2-3 weeks of age. They are getting a little rousy and irritated in their brooder. I was wondering if it was time to take them out to the hen house? We have electricity in there for a heat lamp. It's all ready for chicks, but I don't know if they're too small. Because ive seen videos if people taking their chicks outside at 2 weeks old so I really don't know. I just think it would be nice for the chicks to have room to spread their wings and run. Any advice?
I have always brooded outside in the coop (with the exception for injured or sick chicks) and I have never had a problem. So long as the chicks can get warm when they need to they are fine. I received day old chicks on Tuesday and put them on out in their coop with dirt for the flooring instead of shavings with a heat lamp and one Wednesday I started to let them freely roam their 10 by 9 foot brooding run. They love it. My leghorns stay under the lamp more often than my silkie or sultan chicks but all have been scratching around and having a fine time. I think they are happier than if they were in a small box with no room to run and they don't get bored as easily which means no pecking each other.

Go for it if no older chickens are in it. My chicks are moved to outside brooder within couple days of hatching. And my brooder is split into sections for separating older chicks. Gonna build small tractor to put beside my coop n run so they can get familiar with grown chickens before integrating

...., but if it's a nice day put them outside.  ...  It is good for them to run around and play in the grass/dirt.  Put them out until dark and bring them in at night.

We have a coop and run that we just set up 3 nights ago. The run isn't attached yet due to a ground leveling issue; however, it was nice enough that I took out 8 chicks outside and let them experience the coop and run. They Tuckered out after an hour and sat themselves on the roosts. They will be 4 weeks old in 2 days. I've brought them back in the house to their brooder and they are happy. I'm relieved that others have done that too. My two cats watched the shenanigans for a bit and then just curled up next to me. I know the chicks can't be left out there until the leveling issue is taken care of, I can already bet which of my cats would try to fit into the run otherwise. Thanks for confirming that I'm not alone in the thought of letting them out for a bit and bringing them in vs just wham! Welcome to the new landscape you're out here permanently kind of transition.

Back
Top Bottom