Moving the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by msroser, Dec 26, 2012.

1. msroser

msroser New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Berkeley, CA
    Hello, I am new to the forum today. I live in Berkeley, CA and have two hens. One is a Red Star and the other is, I think, an Orpington. I adopted the Orpington in August and bought the Red Star as a pullet to keep her company.

They have a store bought coop with raised roost and nesting boxes and a run underneath - a very typical little thing. The chickens always return to their coop to roost and we close them in at night. But most days, they range around our fenced backyard. They are basically egg-laying pets.

We had to move their coop across the yard today due to spectacularly muddy conditions in our yard.

Do you suppose they'll go into the moved coop on their own at dusk, or will we have to catch them and put them in there? Do you think I should leave them cooped up during the day for a few days till they get the hang of it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. msroser

msroser New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Berkeley, CA
    I realize I put this in the wrong area of the forum. I am not sure how to move it. sorry

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you get a thread in the wrong spot hit the report button and one of the mods can move it for you.

[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So, how did it go last night? I would think once they're inside their coop/run setup, they would get on the roost. You can always bribe them with treats....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by