Moving the dovecote...?

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday, after much thought and careful planning, we moved my dovecote approximately 13 metres to a more sheltered spot. I currently have 8 doves. Of this I have 3 pairs. All of these three have recently built nests and are sitting on eggs. So as you can tell, it was something that we had to be careful about. Before I explain the problem, I had better explain how we moved the dovecote:
  1. 2 of my doves have a habit of sleeping on the ledge around the dovecote. This is fine with me, only I knew that they would fly off and possibly struggle to return. So I caught them and put them in a box.
  2. We put blocks of timber in the entrances to the popholes so we did not frighten the doves in them - particularly the mothers on nests.
  3. We lifted the dovecote itself off of the pole and carried it over to the new pole. We were extremely careful not to knock any of them - and thank goodness were successful.
  4. As it was night, the doves in the box were sleepy and did not really resist me lifting them back onto the dovecote.
Now, the problem. The mothers and their eggs. Two of the three have done very well in finding their holes and are still comfortably sat on the eggs. The other is unfortunately getting stressy, and her eggs are getting cold. I think I have lost them, but in case I haven't does anyone have any advice?

I don’t kno anything about doves but how long has it been. If she know where her eggs are she may or may not settle down. I had a hen(chicken) we moved and sh ran in and out of her new area for a while before settling down on the eggs... hopefully she settles and goes back to them..

Someone may know more and reply later...

I don’t kno anything about doves but how long has it been. If she know where her eggs are she may or may not settle down. I had a hen(chicken) we moved and sh ran in and out of her new area for a while before settling down on the eggs... hopefully she settles and goes back to them..

Someone may know more and reply later...
Thanks for the reply anyway. Thankfully the father seems to have realised and is currently on them. I don't know whether or not they're lost... just hoping. One of the other fathers has just taken over from one of the mothers that was sitting - obviously they know where their cote has gone.

Thanks for the reply anyway. Thankfully the father seems to have realised and is currently on them. I don't know whether or not they're lost... just hoping. One of the other fathers has just taken over from one of the mothers that was sitting - obviously they know where their cote has gone.
I'm not sure what species of dove you are keeping, I have racing homer pigeons and the males always take their turn sitting during the daytime and the hens overnight. Hopefully this afternoon when it's time for her to take over she will have settled to the slight change in location. She should have an inclination to follow the lead of her mate. You could probably candle an egg to see if its still developing.
I would love to see a photo of your dovecote, and your birds, if you would like to share.

I'm not sure what species of dove you are keeping, I have racing homer pigeons and the males always take their turn sitting during the daytime and the hens overnight. Hopefully this afternoon when it's time for her to take over she will have settled to the slight change in location. She should have an inclination to follow the lead of her mate. You could probably candle an egg to see if its still developing.
I would love to see a photo of your dovecote, and your birds, if you would like to share.
I have garden fantails. The parents seem to do between 3-4 hour stints during the day, with the female sleeping on the eggs at night. I'll see, tomorrow, if I can find a picture for you, too!

Also, thank goodness they're now all on the cote. They've found it but I am not sure if the eggs are okay. I'll try checking tomorrow. At least the other pairs didn't leave the nests, I'll still have them I hope.

Here as promised are 2 pictures:
20191202_150842.jpg 20191202_150826.jpg

Your story will be good advise for anyone else wanting to move their dove dovecote. I had to move my pigeon coop further down the house and turn it facing the opposite direction when we were having building work done. I was so worried the birds would get confused and not go back in.

But they are smarter than I thought and all went straight back in no problem after being let out the next day.

I would not worry too much about the eggs. I have had some eggs get cold when the brooding birds flew off for hours from the fright of constant loud fireworks at a party next door. I had one nest box floor in a storm and the eggs were floating in the cold water! I even had an egg with a big hole in the side (which I covered with sticky tape). All these eggs hatched fine.

If what you experienced happens again, you can mark the eggs and pop them under other brooding pairs to keep warm, then put fake eggs in the problem pairs nest. When you are sure they are brooding again you can put the real eggs back in. If the abandoned the nest then other pair can raise 3 squabs with little problem.

Thanks again for you story.

Your story will be good advise for anyone else wanting to move their dove dovecote. I had to move my pigeon coop further down the house and turn it facing the opposite direction when we were having building work done. I was so worried the birds would get confused and not go back in.

But they are smarter than I thought and all went straight back in no problem after being let out the next day.

I would not worry too much about the eggs. I have had some eggs get cold when the brooding birds flew off for hours from the fright of constant loud fireworks at a party next door. I had one nest box floor in a storm and the eggs were floating in the cold water! I even had an egg with a big hole in the side (which I covered with sticky tape). All these eggs hatched fine.

If what you experienced happens again, you can mark the eggs and pop them under other brooding pairs to keep warm, then put fake eggs in the problem pairs nest. When you are sure they are brooding again you can put the real eggs back in. If the abandoned the nest then other pair can raise 3 squabs with little problem.

Thanks again for you story.
Thanks for this advice. Actually, of the 6 eggs in total, 4 have hatched so far. The other 2 are not due until Monday-Tuesday time. Both of the ones that got cold are fine, thank goodness.

I did wonder about switching the eggs, but wasn't sure how many squabs could be dealt with at once. Thanks for this!

Thanks for this advice. Actually, of the 6 eggs in total, 4 have hatched so far. The other 2 are not due until Monday-Tuesday time. Both of the ones that got cold are fine, thank goodness.

I did wonder about switching the eggs, but wasn't sure how many squabs could be dealt with at once. Thanks for this!

I have had pairs raise 3 squabs no problem. Even has a pair of hens that raise 4 in one go.

Back
Top Bottom