Moving to a new coop 100 yards away?

moodybubbles

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
I have 8 chickens in a 4x8 coop. I have 3 ducks in there with them at night. The chickens get to free range during most of the day. They are pooping on my patio, digging against my foundation for their dust baths, laying eggs in random spots, trying to sit on my truck, crowing outside a sleeping baby's window.

So I want to move them into a fenced area and fenced field with a barn and my goats, donkeys and cows. I want to build a new coop since I now know what I want in a coop and it's a bit different than 6 years ago when we built this one. But the new location is only 100 yards from the old one. They will be able to see the old one. Will the chickens fly over the 4.5 ft fence to return to their old coop? Will they leave the fenced area to run for my house since that is still in sight as well?

I can move the old coop and build something for the ducks if needed. Is moving them 100 yards even possible period?

Lock them in the new coop/run for at least a week - no free ranging, etc. You may still have to occasionally have to move birds at night -they'll eventually get it.

Ok. Must wait for cooler weather for that.

Do you think moving the old coop would be a better option?

Ok. Must wait for cooler weather for that.

Do you think moving the old coop would be a better option?
That might work better...but you'll still have to convince them to stay in the fenced area.
4.5 feet will probably not keep them in,
can depend on how big the fenced area is and what there is there for them to forage on.

Might be a good idea to build a mesh covered run to keep them contained for a few weeks,
and then start letting them into the fenced area slowly, just before dusk at first to see how they do.

Back
Top Bottom