Moving to coop-- they don't like outside?

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Hi all. Our chicks have been in a grow out run in my laundry room for too long! They are 7 and 8 weeks old now, and we put them in their run yesterday cuz it was so nice out. Decided to try them in the coop overnight, and they did great! But when we opened the door this morning, nobody wants to go out. They just like to hang out in the nesting boxes. Maybe I spoiled them too much, and they don't like the wind or something? Any tips or tricks on how to get them out during the day, then back in the coop again at night?

We're heading into a colder weather spell soon, so they're going to regret not enjoying the outside today while it was nice, haha

Attachments

• PXL_20230412_182351862.jpg
    PXL_20230412_182351862.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 15
Try treat motivating them. I have trouble all the time with getting my chicks to get out into the world. Usually, what I do first is just set them in front of the run door and nudge their fuzzy little butts outside and if they come in again, turn them around and nudge them out again. If that doesn't work set them outside in the run and then go back inside the coop and call for them, so they know where the door is. You can try tossing treats in front of the run door to get them to come outside

Try treat motivating them. I have trouble all the time with getting my chicks to get out into the world. Usually, what I do first is just set them in front of the run door and nudge their fuzzy little butts outside and if they come in again, turn them around and nudge them out again. If that doesn't work set them outside in the run and then go back inside the coop and call for them, so they know where the door is. You can try tossing treats in front of the run door to get them to come outside
We did just set some of their favorite goodies right outside to see if that will help. We'll see!

If you scratch at the ground near them inside and drop high value treats when they come close to you, you can quickly teach them that you scratching at the ground means they should run to you fast so they can be first to get the goodies. As you move outside, they'll happily follow. This little hack also helps tremendously when trying to catch that one aloof chicken that always avoids transition time, lol.

Back
Top Bottom