Moving to Houston

KBlue

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Katy, TX
Well, it is official. I was offered a job in Houston in the "too good to pass up" category. SSoooo, we're moving. Probably in June so that I can start in July. The job will be in the Uptown/Galleria area. Even though we will likely rent to start out with, we may consider a house if we can find one at a good price and quick. Any neighborhood recommendations? Any neighborhoods that we should avoid? As much as I'd like to be more rural with a couple acres, I also do not want to have a 1+ hour commute. Chicken friendly would be great (obviously)!

Any other advice/suggestions/warnings/etc are welcome!

This is funny because here in this same category someone just posted "Moving to Heaven from Hell". The hell he was referring to was Houston. The two of you should communicate as he was there for 45 years.

lol. great.

tongue.png

Just be ready for the heat, i am sure your summers are pretty mild compared to our desert like heat.
My brother lives on the outskirts of Houston and loves it but i do not know anything about Houston living.
Hope you like it have a safe trip.

The summers in Ohio are hot and humid too. From what I've read, the temps are a bit higher in Houston, but let's face it....when you could cut the air with a knife it doesn't matter what the actual number is, does it?
cool.png

And thank you everyone for the well wishes. It'll be an adventure, that's for sure!

Hi and welcome to Houston. My husband and I moved from Richmond, Indiana, (on the border of Indiana and Ohio) 5 years ago. We lived in a motorhome for 4 years until we found our place in Rosenberg, TX. That is a 40-45 minute drive SW of Houston. One thing you should be prepared for there are a LOT of people here. I don't care where you want to go, plan on driving! Did I mention there is a LOT of people here???

You won't have any problems. You will get tickled in the winter time when people are wearing heavy coats and fur collars. It doesn't get cold here like it did in the midwest. You know how to handle tornadoes so when hurricane season comes it isn't much different. Some people stay and wait it out, others leave the area. Since we had our motorhome, we left. Not sure what we will do now that we have our girls (8 hens).

Houston is doable. I am in the country now so I am not penned in anymore.
wee.gif

I would love to find at least a little bit of land, but I won't hold my breath. Houston is huge!

Might have to check out Rosenberg though.

Dear Texas Lisa,
I dont live that far from you. Actually the border of Houston and Pearland right off of Cullen near Tom Bass Park.
I have two Roosters, one (Rusty) which is either a Welsommer or Red Jungle Fowl and the other is a Welsommer Bantam mixed with another breed that I have yet to ID. Both were a gift given to us last year and are just about one year old.

I would like to know if you would be interested in keeping my two "boys" for a while since I have a need to travel and I cannot leave them by themselves.
If you like them, then you could probably keep both, even though it would be hard for me since I have become very attached to them.

Let me know what you think and send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Both my wife and I will be very greatful.

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom