Moving to the coop

Jimmy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
My chicks are five weeks old now and have pretty much outgrown the 4'x4' pen in the garage, so I will be moving them into their new coop which is 8'x12". Is this going to be traumatic for them ? Anything I need to do to make the transition less stressful?
How about bedding...I have been using pine shavings in the small pen...what do most people use for bedding in their coops? Thanks in advance, for your help.

I use pine shavings in my coop. The move was uneventful for my chicks and they love their new digs even though our coop is not complete yet
roll.png

The weather has not cooperated with us, hopefully we'll get some work completed this week
smile.png

Good Luck on your transition, I'm sure it will go fine.

I go to TSC and buy the big cubes of horse bedding which is pine shavings, the big bale is only five bucks and it takes me 2 bales to do my entire coop and all I do is put down DE then the shavings, and more DE. I stir it up once or twice a week and I make it about 4 or 5 inches deep and I don't have to change it but maybe once a month. I think TSC had the best price on it around here in north central Arkansas. Trudy
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi Jimmy! Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

We also use TSC pine shavings in our 3 coops.

Your chicks should love the transition to a larger area. Just don't be worried if they sleep in a pile on the floor before figuring out the roosts. Ours always do this, even though I put roosts in the brooder and they use them just fine in it.

Moving the babies outdoors is always more traumatic for me, than the birds.

Dawn

As usual, your responses were very helpful. Funny that lots of people mentioned TSC...that was one of the few places I could find pine shavings around here. Do you ever put straw on top of that..and is 5" about what everyone uses? Thanks again !!

Back
Top Bottom