Moving two roosters from Oregon to California by car.....

HollyOakFarm

Songster
May 3, 2021
Canby Oregon
Hi, I'm planning on taking a couple of young healthy roosters down to CA next month from Oregon by car. I went to the CA Dept of Ag website and I don't see anything about needing a health cert to enter CA, other than when specifically moving "Commercial Poultry" - which these certainly are not. They are a couple of free-be's to a fellow breeder there to help with genetic diversity of their flock. (Olandsk Dwarfs..... pic of them below with others.... for attention).

Does anyone have any recent experience regarding entering CA with chickens? Do I need to get a vet certificate? I can't get a hold of my vet for anything right now - she's so busy. Chickens don't seem to be a priority.
Thank you!
Chicks.2021.July.jpg

Read here.

Start calling other vets.

CA has had BIG problems in recent years with Avian Diseases (Google "CA VND"), and was never a state known for lax restrictions on, well, pretty much anything.

If you start looking at various State laws, you quickly come to the conclusion that if you are crossing State lines w/ poultry, you want to do so with either a CVI or a 9-3 form.

Read here.

Start calling other vets.
I have. My small animal vet is willing to help, but after he gave me his thoughts on treatment for another issue, I can tell he isn't up to date. I have a vet I can call for consult, but haven't found anyone closer than 1.5-2 hours away that are taking "new" clients. I think the vet has to be NPIP certified to do it as well.

USDA Cat II Cert, not NPIP Cert, but yeah, its a special few.

Generally cheaper, easier, safer to have chicks shipped directly to the intended from a recognized commercial hatchery or NPIP certified breeder. Once the birds have been in your flock, unless you are Certified, its near impossible in many cases to find a vet able, willing, and with time to do the CVI so you can cross state lines with the birds.

Its a deliberately onerous process intended to deter people from crossing state lines with pet birds, placing the State's commercial flocks at risk. In practice, that simple means few do it legally, but plenty of very dangerous diseases cross state lines.

Back
Top Bottom