MPC cost of shipping

briteday

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Northern Nevada USA
I want to order three silkie day old pullets and six EE day old pullets. I've been on the MPC website but cannot find the cost for specific chicks and the cost for shipping. ??? I live in northern Nevada and they ship from Connecticut. Anyone have a clue?

They will not post prices until the Chicks are available for pre-order in February.

As far as shipping I found that it usually runs about $37 ($12 + $25 for the small order upgrade.

Sexed EE non-bantam pullets will be about $3.50 each, and sexed Silkie pullets are $10 each.

ETA: They do not actually ship out of CT, they usually ship from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Shipping's a killer!

We thought about buying straight run silkies (taking our chances with 50/50 ...2 of each color, blue and buff) at the feed store (they will re-home any roos for us). Hmmmm.... wonder what they will be charging for silkies and who they get them from...Hmmm.....

We're also doing a small order from them in Feb. Eight chicks is our minimum. Our coop is small but our ratio is in the dirt now. 3 roos to 10 hens! We need these pullets to even out our flock and keep the peace, but they HAVE to be hens and no more than eight, at that. Space is very limited.

I wasn't patient enough to wait for MPC to put up their selection when I was decided to order in late Dec. / early Jan. Therefore I looked into another option.

I only needed 6 to 8 pullets. I put an ad on craigslist and here at BYC and got more than enough folks to go in on the order with me. I actually had to turn away a few people because the order was getting too big. It took about 2 weeks to get it all organized before ordering. My final cost for my 8 chicks was about $20 with shipping from Welp. You could always go that route if another hatchery has what you are looking for.

I have also heard people buy the full 25 and list them for sale after they arrive with success. Just make sure your extras are something popular like buff orpington or EE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I've ordered for there and shipping is EXPENSIVE. If you order under 10 chicks, they will charge you $20 for shipping. It's expensive, but they put heating pads and gro-gel inside the box! Good Luck. I'd recommend getting from Mt. Healthy. Their minimum is (I think) 15 and it's cheaper.

I ordered 6 chicks from MPC this month and I was charged $31.95. It's a long way to California... It is worth it to me because I do not want to raise too many chicks or try to find home for them. This is my first flock and I don't have a very big set up to raise the chicks, or a very big coop.

My biggest worry has been what to do if I get a rooster. I'm just hoping they all arrive alive and as hens and it will be worth the cost for my small order.

Good luck!

I think my shipping was around $30 for my 7 chicks. I think it is worth it though if you can only have a small amount of chickens. I got mine vaccinated and sexed and they turned out to all be hens.

Back
Top Bottom