MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dekel18042, Apr 15, 2016.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    That's a big clue. Guessing he is half Ameraucana. The other half should e a production white egg layer. I'm seeing some ear tuffs and muffs on mine.

2. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Nice! It is fun to have distinguishing features-- helpful too in decoding what we've gotten ourselves into!

3. LilChickens2

LilChickens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    Hi! I just found this thread. I hatched two SBEL from MPC in early Feb, one pullet and one cockerel. Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are both white with black flecks. I also hatched a SCEL cockerel and he is also white with a little black except he has feathers on his feet. Lastly, I hatched out three Blue Sex Link as well from MPC.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Ooooh pretty! Has your boy behaved himself so far? And thanks so much for posting more SBEL pictures!

5. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Very pretty. Because of his color and feathered feet, I'm going to guess your SCEL cockerel is a cross between marans, probably black copper, and leghorn. Too bad you'll never see what color egg he would lay. [​IMG] Nit if you have any white egg laying hens and would breed them, and daughters should give you a clue in the color they lay.

6. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA

He has behaved but I have my eye on him. He developed first, crowed first, and is in a coop with multiple cockerels and pullets ranging in age from 9-12 weeks (for now...building a cockerel only coop currently). The only thing he does, which I find funny, is when everyone is eating and he is hungry he will use his talon in a dinosaur manner to move another chicken out of the way. He will "gently" grab them and thrust them aside from food. Otherwise no issues.

7. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA

I do plan on keeping him and currently have ONE white egg layer so I might try an experiment with that.

Here is the SCEL:

[​IMG]

8. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    He is a beauty! I really wanted a few of the SCEL but they only sell hatching eggs and my husband would kill me if we ended up with more roosters!

9. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass

They are cute! Did they show muffs early or did their faces puff up later?

10. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    If a bird is going to have muffs, they get them early. I've seen muffs on just out of the box shipped chicks and I have a bunch that are two weeks old today and some have muffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by