MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

WoooHooo
clap.gif
At last, LOL. Lovely soft green on that EE, by the way.

It is so, so hard to wait! My SBELs are laying very well, as far as daily, etc. The shells are a touch brighter some days. Since I've been getting eggs from several every day I can see that at least 4 are regularly laying a hint darker than others and while they are blue, wanted more intensity. But happy they aren't green, as I have those already. These are all from the MPC "super blues" I bought. The TBWs are not yet laying. Have 3 pullets there and found/buying 3 more from a different hatch, about 6 wks younger. Hope to pick them up Sunday. Between those & the 4 BBS Ameraucanas a broody hatched (bought eggs) I hope to have the darker eggs this summer.

I eat few eggs but I just love to collect the eggs! Weird.

Anyone else got news? Update on your experience with the color change -- if any -- I will. Of course when the others begin to lay pics will follow......like Christmas, waiting for the packages.

Romeo, my Ameraucana roo (hatched valentines day, so 6 mos) managed to get himself caught in a poultry net today and he was so sweet to handle to remove and after. Very calm (I was out there when it happened, so no waiting to be found). He has been easy with the hens, never been aggressive with me (so far) and just a pleasant little man. Now, those 2 SBELs from MPC group are nasty, chase you, jump you types. They WILL be stock pot fare soon as it cools off enough to consider the mess of butchering. My Marans roos are not bad either. The TBW one is penned, so unsure, but he does seem ok....jury out on him...he's never attacked when I went in.. May stay penned and only used for breeding. While roosters can be beautiful, I am not a fan. They are necessary for chicks, that's about it.
cool.png
I keep rooster runs but, these 3 are currently free range. Nasty 1 & Nasty 2 will be in a new run by next wkend and they can just learn to like it. Look like full on WLs.

So much general molting going one, I do a head count every day to be sure none have been taken. Seeing feathers is a real alert.

Last edited:
WoooHooo
clap.gif
At last, LOL. Lovely soft green on that EE, by the way.

It is so, so hard to wait! My SBELs are laying very well, as far as daily, etc. The shells are a touch brighter some days. Since I've been getting eggs from several every day I can see that at least 4 are regularly laying a hint darker than others and while they are blue, wanted more intensity. But happy they aren't green, as I have those already. These are all from the MPC "super blues" I bought. The TBWs are not yet laying. Have 3 pullets there and found/buying 3 more from a different hatch, about 6 wks younger. Hope to pick them up Sunday. Between those & the 4 BBS Ameraucanas a broody hatched (bought eggs) I hope to have the darker eggs this summer.
Thanks! Yes, that green EE egg is what pulled me into trying SBELs-- I got one that gave me that pretty green and the other gives me a very soft pink- clearly not a blue gene carrier, so didn't want to try luck with more EEs hoping for green/blue.

So happy to hear Romeo is maintaining his good boy status! No people issues with Gus to date, but he has been separated from the flock until the 10 week old pullets come of age- they're about the same size as the 20 week old SBEL pullets- and he was jumping on them when he couldn't catch a same age pullet in the much bigger area. His romancing skills are sharpening - he can still see everyone and is starting to tid-bit and dance for them which he never did before.

Looking forward to our other pullet's first egg and to see how others turn out!

Update: both our SBEL's have now laid their first eggs, first one at 19 weeks, 4 days, and now Ethel at 19 weeks, 6 days.

wee.gif
yesss.gif

The first blue egg (Lucy's) is the one on the right.
I'm not sure which egg is which between Ethel and Lucy for the other two, but the color of today's eggs looks a little better, and they were both 1.4oz which is a pretty respectable early egg. The brown eggs are from our GLW.

Here they are with the EE's green eggs in the picture for comparison.

And here's a picture with just the SBEL's blue and EE's green. With more of them it's easier to see the color difference!

Last edited:
Update!! This morning I got a 2.2oz egg from Lucy. It was weighed on the scale I get to pay $39/year to license from the state for use in selling produce etc, and it was tested just last week.
She just laid her first egg on 8/19/16- today she's 20 weeks and 2 days old, and weighs around 2.5lbs. I have to say that I am super-duper impressed!!

Top egg is a 2.2oz from our EE that lays pink, the two green eggs are from the same green laying EE. The egg in the middle is Lucy's 2.2oz'er from today- her first egg was 8/19/16. Bottom brown egg is a 2.2oz from one of our black australorps.

ya.gif
Congrats! Nice egg size, too. I get 6 a day from my 8 girls. Well, could be all eight but they like to "hide" them. I am working on another coop & run but with the heat it's been slow go. They have a building with some of the Marans & Ameraucanas that are similar age. Just time for separation & nesting habits. Plus, need to control the roosters so I have from who/by who eggs to hatch. That's a month or so out.

I see more size coming in my gals eggs. Spring & they will be great. My TBWs are next.

ya.gif
Congrats! Nice egg size, too. I get 6 a day from my 8 girls. Well, could be all eight but they like to "hide" them. I am working on another coop & run but with the heat it's been slow go. They have a building with some of the Marans & Ameraucanas that are similar age. Just time for separation & nesting habits. Plus, need to control the roosters so I have from who/by who eggs to hatch. That's a month or so out.

I see more size coming in my gals eggs. Spring & they will be great. My TBWs are next.

2.2oz is a nice egg size? I'm newer to chickens - just been in it a couple years, and most lately have been Bielefelders. I did get some SBEL's from MPC who laid early - 4 1/3 months. I just weighed mine to compare with Shezadandy's. Mine are 2.1oz which looks TINY to me, but I guess that's not so bad. The reason their eggs look so tiny is because my Bielefelder's eggs have been 70-85g (2.9+ oz) vs my SBEL's whose are only 60g. I'm really hoping my SBEL'S get bigger - mpc claims they lay large blue eggs. Mine are definitely not large yet, and blue is questionable. Would definitely not buy SBEL's eggs again for $20+/chick plus shipping. My Easter Eggers look "blue enough" in the right light. Another blue egg layer disappointment. I do have hope in my WTB. I have been getting a true blue colored egg periodically, and I suspect it's one of my WTB's. They are LARGE-EXTRA LARGE right out of the gate. Definitely not my SBEL's - I got there's right after they laid - they are med size and a questionable blue. My very last hope, after the WTB's are my rumples Ameraucana's. If they don't produce the blue colored egg I'm looking for, I'm done. I really, truly, give up.

2.2oz is a nice egg size? I'm newer to chickens - just been in it a couple years, and most lately have been Bielefelders. I did get some SBEL's from MPC who laid early - 4 1/3 months. I just weighed mine to compare with Shezadandy's. Mine are 2.1oz which looks TINY to me, but I guess that's not so bad. The reason their eggs look so tiny is because my Bielefelder's eggs have been 70-85g (2.9+ oz) vs my SBEL's whose are only 60g. I'm really hoping my SBEL'S get bigger - mpc claims they lay large blue eggs. Mine are definitely not large yet, and blue is questionable. Would definitely not buy SBEL's eggs again for $20+/chick plus shipping. Another blue egg layer disappointment. My Easter Eggers look "blue enough" in the right light. I do have hope in my WTB. I have been getting a true blue colored egg periodically, and I suspect it's one of my WTB's. They are LARGE-EXTRA LARGE right out of the gate. Definitely not my SBEL's - I got theirs right after they laid - they are med size and a questionable blue. My very last hope, after the WTB's are my rumpless Ameraucana's. If they don't produce the blue colored egg I'm looking for, I'm done. I really, truly, give up.

P.S. - one thing I can say about the overpriced SBEL's is that they lay EVERYDAY now. ALWAYS.
wee.gif

Last edited:
2.2oz is a nice egg size? I'm newer to chickens - just been in it a couple years, and most lately have been Bielefelders. I did get some SBEL's from MPC who laid early - 4 1/3 months. I just weighed mine to compare with Shezadandy's. Mine are 2.1oz which looks TINY to me, but I guess that's not so bad. The reason their eggs look so tiny is because my Bielefelder's eggs have been 70-85g (2.9+ oz) vs my SBEL's whose are only 60g. I'm really hoping my SBEL'S get bigger - mpc claims they lay large blue eggs. Mine are definitely not large yet, and blue is questionable. Would definitely not buy SBEL's eggs again for $20+/chick plus shipping. My Easter Eggers look "blue enough" in the right light. Another blue egg layer disappointment. I do have hope in my WTB. I have been getting a true blue colored egg periodically, and I suspect it's one of my WTB's. They are LARGE-EXTRA LARGE right out of the gate. Definitely not my SBEL's - I got there's right after they laid - they are med size and a questionable blue. My very last hope, after the WTB's are my rumples Ameraucana's. If they don't produce the blue colored egg I'm looking for, I'm done. I really, truly, give up.

I weigh mine per ounce on a scale I get to pay the state $39/year to come and test it so I can sell things by weight.
USDA regulations for egg size, min weight requirements.

Jumbo dozen: 30oz (2.5oz/egg)
Extra large dozen: 27oz (2.25oz/egg)
Large dozen: 24oz (2oz/egg)
Medium dozen: 21oz (1.75oz/egg)
Small dozen: 18oz (1.5oz/egg)
Peewee dozen: 15oz (1.25oz/egg)

Most of my chickens start with pullet eggs around 1.2oz and increase as they grow. So for me, getting a 2.2oz egg in the first week of a pullet laying is pretty incredible.
As far as the blue- one has a nicer blue than the other. It's much easier to see the blue when it's up against the green eggs. Knock your socks off blue? No, but it is a starting place-- pullets with a copy of the blue gene, no brown modifiers giving green eggs to get past, and lucked into a cockerel that looks like he should have at least one copy himself. An expensive starting place to be sure... those Bielefelder eggs must be something- my biggest egg to date was 3.0oz from a seasoned layer.

Last edited:
I weigh mine per ounce on a scale I get to pay the state $39/year to come and test it so I can sell things buy weight.
USDA regulations for egg size, min weight requirements.

Jumbo dozen: 30oz (2.5oz/egg)
Extra large dozen: 27oz (2.25oz/egg)
Large dozen: 24oz (2oz/egg)
Medium dozen: 21oz (1.75oz/egg)
Small dozen: 18oz (1.5oz/egg)
Peewee dozen: 15oz (1.25oz/egg)

Most of my chickens start with pullet eggs around 1.2oz and increase as they grow. So for me, getting a 2.2oz egg in the first week of a pullet laying is pretty incredible.
As far as the blue- one has a nicer blue than the other. It's much easier to see the blue when it's up against the green eggs. Knock your socks off blue? No, but it is a starting place-- pullets with a copy of the blue gene, no brown modifiers giving green eggs to get past, and lucked into a cockerel that looks like he should have at least one copy himself. An expensive starting place to be sure... those Bielefelder eggs must be something- my biggest egg to date was 3.0oz from a seasoned layer.

Yep, the Bielefelders are awesome! Hands down the biggest layers I've ever had - ALL the hens lay like that, and I've never had a double yoker! On another note; I found a teeny tiny egg from God knows who, that was a double yoker. The yolks with whites combined were no bigger than a tablespoon. Bizarre!

Back
Top Bottom