Mr Pickles is a BadA$$

He has been lately. He’s been herding the girls in at night even. They’ve got just under what I was told (and I asked before building/buying and the general consensus was 3 give or take, large breeds more small breeds less and most of mine are about 4lbs full size). I feel so bad! Is it better to figure out the heck to make this bigger or add another coop?
It looks like you can make this one bigger.
Go out tomorrow and he better pictures of it.

They really need at least 4, preferably more, inside and 10 outside
I feel like an abusive chicken mom now 😨 I know their run isn’t enough which is why they free range all day until we can add on. We are waiting as our house was just sold and we don’t know if we are staying or leaving for a few more weeks. So figured better to free range a couple more weeks than spend a weekend building only to take it down and re-assemble in a couple weeks if we have to move.

I feel like an abusive chicken mom now 😨 I know their run isn’t enough which is why they free range all day until we can add on. We are waiting as our house was just sold and we don’t know if we are staying or leaving for a few more weeks. So figured better to free range a couple more weeks than spend a weekend building only to take it down and re-assemble in a couple weeks if we have to move.
We’ve all been there I’m sure! My first chickens I didn’t know better and bought a dinky little TSC thing they quickly outgrew and they too were sleeping on the roof until we could build them a bigger coop. We did eventually but I felt bad too. Plus there’s a lot of varying information out there it can get confusing!! It happens! :hugs

Most new chicken owners don't realize at first. We decided to go customs here from the beginning, but I still didn't know about that false statement until later myself. So your not alone. Owning chickens will always likely be a learning curve.

It looks like you can make this one bigger.
Go out tomorrow and he better pictures of it.
Maybe I can pull the back off where the nesting boxes are ans make it deeper that way. This isn’t a prefab, this was basic bones commissioned (we didn’t have the time) and then we fixed up a couple things, added legs, roosting bars, secured things, did the roof, etc and built the run. Limber was outrageous so the run is small, and we planned on expanding by now and have it grow with them, but it got halted so free range for now. I’ll work out plans for extending the coop soon and make it happen once our own housing is more secure.

So I think I’ll do a whole new setup for my established flock of good layer breeds then use my current setup for my colored layer/fancy breeds. That’ll make my current set up have about 5 birds and I’ll have a new set up for my 10.

Back
Top Bottom