Mr. Rooster spurring one hen

Loconnell

Hatching
Aug 22, 2020
I have a hen that is new to the group and unfortunately I did not introduce them well. She was inside for a while then she was outside in her own little chicken run and coop and now I’m trying to slowly let her be a part of the flock. Mr. rooster however does not seem to wanna have her as part of his flock and he will find her and try to spur her. What are some ways that I can get him to not be so aggressive towards her and allow her to be fully accepted by him? 1st attempt was unsuccessful, and she ran away... came back in rough shape.

I have a hen that is new to the group and unfortunately I did not introduce them well. She was inside for a while then she was outside in her own little chicken run and coop and now I’m trying to slowly let her be a part of the flock. Mr. rooster however does not seem to wanna have her as part of his flock and he will find her and try to spur her. What are some ways that I can get him to not be so aggressive towards her and allow her to be fully accepted by him? 1st attempt was unsuccessful, and she ran away... came back in rough shape.
This is why you should introduce two at a time..
How old is she? Breed? Are you sure of gender?

then she was outside in her own little chicken run and coop and now I’m trying to slowly let her be a part of the flock.
How long?
How many female birds in the flock?
Might put one of the nicer existing birds in with the new one.
Mix and match until you find one that works.

Might have to confine the cock until he behaves.
Knowing the number and ages(in weeks of months) of all birds would help here.
As well as pics of the coops and runs.

This is why you should introduce two at a time..
How old is she? Breed? Are you sure of gender?
I don’t know her age. She was given To me by a family member who doesn’t care to keep track of that type of info. Rhode Island Red. Very sure of gender... she’s given me 4 eggs recently.

How long?
How many female birds in the flock?
Might put one of the nicer existing birds in with the new one.
Mix and match until you find one that works.

Might have to confine the cock until he behaves.
Knowing the number and ages(in weeks of months) of all birds would help here.
As well as pics of the coops and runs.
So her confinement is good size for one, but a little too cramped for two. I’ve been letting her out in the evening when I’m able to sit out there and make sure the rooster doesn’t act up. I have 14 ladies that are five months old. This girl’s age is unknown. The rooster’s age is unknown, but he is mature. He’s been fertilizing eggs. The rooster and this hen actually lived together with my father. He gave me the rooster first, then he gave me the hen maybe a month or two after. The rooster was the social reject in his old flock and the hen was at the top of the pecking order. She (Xena) is somewhat indifferent about the girls, but she will occasionally peck the girls on the back. The other ladies have not challenged her; they seem intimidated enough not to do that. My flock is free range in the day, and they sleep in a converted coop at night. Xena is in a different coop inside her chicken run, and she free ranges in the evening when I sit with them.

Back
Top Bottom