Mrs Fluffy is not a Mrs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MeineHuehner, Aug 7, 2010.

1. MeineHuehner

MeineHuehner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    So Mrs Fluffy is a rooster..."she" has all the signs...has been crowing consistently the past two mornings...before that once or twice week. "She" has found her voice. Tried to shush her ... didn't work [​IMG]. Is very aggressive with my hens, ghostrider and fireball...chases them around the yard. Do hens ever crow? I am still holding out hope "she" will lay an egg in about four weeks...our city does not allow roosters...and I am not sure I do..the 6am wakeup calls are brutal on the weekends...what do I do with Mrs Fluffy now?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Welcome! [​IMG] If you have a picture, someone for sure will have an opinion on gender. [​IMG]

3. MeineHuehner

MeineHuehner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks! will do... its a Brahma and Mrs Fluffy sure looks like the picture on the breeds page..."she" is a beauty!

4. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    I've heard hens can crow - I even read somewhere that back in the Puritan days if a hen crowed they burned it for witchcraft....the jerks.

5. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:And now in the future if a "hen" (AKA sexing mistake) crows they kill it because they think roos are bad! They loved it when it was a "hen" but when it turns into a roo they hate it and kill it just for being a roo! Then after they kill it they dance around and cheer that the "horrible crowing, fighting thing" is dead! Then they eat it! That's what most "Chicken Lovers" do with "horrible crowing, fighting things" That's the story of the modern crowing "hen" That's why I say "Roosters Rock! Order St. Run!" instead of "Hens are Awesome, Roos are Worthless!"

6. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    i had 2 lovely silver laced wyandotte "hens" that i raised from day old chicks. they were supposed to be pullets - until they started crowing one day. then every day - at 5:45 am. there is no mistaking a rooster crowing. look for the long hackle feathers (around the neck) and arching tail feathers. my two lovely ladies, Clarice and Ruthie turned out to be Clarence and Rupert. [​IMG]

as far as what i "did" with them? i put an ad on my local craigslist and sold them for $5 each. that paid for my next bag of feed for the remaining girls. now i'm hoping they went to a good home, but one really never knows for sure...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by