much smaller then rest of flock.............

Bigcountry69

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
We have a lavender Americauna that is much smaller then her hatch mates. She is very docile and seems to be at the very bottom of the pecking order. She was hatched the 12th of may and is probably close to half the size of the rest of her hatch mates. We 'hide' feed all around the run for her, but she still is just so far behind the others. if we pulled her out and placed her by herself and offered her full time feed would she catch up to everyone else eventually or will she always be the runt?

There is a certain age that they pass where they will never be able to make up for the growth missed, unfortunately. Those ones I just keep an eye on them and make sure I see that they're eating, preferably with a full crop

We have a lavender Americauna that is much smaller then her hatch mates. She is very docile and seems to be at the very bottom of the pecking order. She was hatched the 12th of may and is probably close to half the size of the rest of her hatch mates. We 'hide' feed all around the run for her, but she still is just so far behind the others. if we pulled her out and placed her by herself and offered her full time feed would she catch up to everyone else eventually or will she always be the runt?
When did you last deworm them?

This difference in size could hint to worms. I had this happen this year with one of my BCMarans pullets, but after deworming she caught up with her flock mates and gained the proper weight.

Inspect her for mites/lice also, as weaker chickens will often not take the time for proper dust bathing and preening.

I have a runt Light Brahma named Hamburger, since when her flockmates weighed a pound or so she weighed about as much as, well, a hamburger. She's still noticeably smaller but is perfectly healthy. Some birds are just small.

Back
Top Bottom