Mucky bottom Chicken

calamitykate

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Scotland
One of my ten rescue chickens has a severely bald, red, mucky, faeces covered bottom. She appears quite well in all other ways, eating well, laying and running about the enclosure all day foraging. She is a little small and perhaps skinny but quite strong when I pick her up. I washed her back end a few weeks ago thinking that her general health would improve as have the rest of them.

I have not wormed them yet as the stuff I need, is currently unavailable in UK , (manufacturing delay), and all the rest have grown back fluffy bottoms and look a lot healthier than they did, but we have been having terrible weather conditions with torrential rain and sleet and snow so I am surprised at how well they have been in view of the state in which they arrived.

So any ideas folks?

Are the others pecking her or pulling feathers? Can you buy gentian violet? It is an old fashipned medicine, a mild antiseptic which stains everything blue or purple. Here it is sold as BluKote in feed stores. It discourages others from pecking a wound.

Its the cause of the diahorrea,
idunno.gif
that I am a concerned about primarily, its an internal problem I suspect. She is the only one with any problem. I am new to chicken management so was hoping others may be familiar with this problem. They have all been in moult as well but the others have all grown the bumfluff back now except her Should I try just worming her? I have some ornamental bird wormer (for like canaries and cockatoos) I currently cannot get hold of any chicken wormer.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom