Mucous

Sarjeanp

Songster
7 Years
May 26, 2015
Good morning! Yesterday and today, I noticed there are some spots that are like jelly ( mucous) in the brooder. Can this be normal for such young girls? I don't know who is doing it or what end it's coming from. Everyone is walking, eating, drinking, etc. My research keeps pointing me to that illness Cochi, but other symptoms don't line up, also they are SO young, haven't even been out of a brooder yet. 2 of them had Pasty Butt last night that I took care of and dried straight away.

For now if they were mine, I would just keep an eye on things with cocci medicine at the ready if the condition worsens. Chicks with pasty butt may still be having some digestive problems.

Good morning! Yesterday and today, I noticed there are some spots that are like jelly ( mucous) in the brooder. Can this be normal for such young girls? I don't know who is doing it or what end it's coming from. Everyone is walking, eating, drinking, etc. My research keeps pointing me to that illness Cochi, but other symptoms don't line up, also they are SO young, haven't even been out of a brooder yet. 2 of them had Pasty Butt last night that I took care of and dried straight away.
x2 on @sourland's advice...in my experience, by the time it's clearly coccidiosis, it's too late. If you suspect coccidiosis, I would start on preventive Corid treatment (not at the acute level, since it's not clear if that's really the issue). Can you post poop pics? That would help.

I changed the brooder, and put paper towels on top of the shavings, and straightaway, as they were huddled, somebody did this… It looks like urine, which I read they do not urinate? Here are two more spots that some of the other ones did. Enjoy! Haha!
25521149-D108-4B10-88A4-AF4CFC7EF9D3.jpeg

Attachments

• B930B250-407B-48B3-98A9-9F4987D25A87.jpeg
    B930B250-407B-48B3-98A9-9F4987D25A87.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 74EC1546-87DE-48D2-B24E-F913A86A5142.jpeg
    74EC1546-87DE-48D2-B24E-F913A86A5142.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 4
How I love looking at poop pics - not! ;) Seriously, though, the poop in the photos doesn't jump out at me as abnormal. The liquid also doesn't strike me as unusual; I've seen that with chicks in my brooder, not as often as "dry" poop, but it happens. Were your chicks shipped? Did they eat anything different before the suspect poop?

Having dealt with coccidiosis in a young flock one spring that wiped out more than half - even with "acute" treatment - I err on the side of caution now. While there may not be visible blood in the feces, you may want to start treatment with Corid if you see other symptoms described in this article.

Thank you! Not shipped, I was very spontaneous, and ran to three different feed stores in my town and collected all 11 between the three. I brought them home and immediately started them on chick starter. I wish I would have asked more questions now that I have been on this board, and learning more about chicks’ beginnings.

Also, say I did treat all 11 ( don’t know who is doing it), with choci meds...if they don’t have choci, could the meds be harmful or create a somewhat immunity to it if they did need it as adults?

Back
Top Bottom