Mud abatement using leaf litter?

Does anyone have any reason why I can't take the maple leaves in my yard, crunch them up a little bit, and use that in the run? It seems like a genius way to get rid of the leaves in my yard. Am I nuts?
Maple leaves are fine for chickens.

No need to crunch them up. It is fine to add them whole or in any size pieces. Scratching chickens will tend to break the leaves into smaller pieces over time.

hey neighbor. also in oregon. what i've been doing is a layer of pine pellets top dressed with big leaf maple leaves or straw the pellets absorb enough to prevent puddles and turn to sawdust. the leaves on top keeps the chickens busy with things other than each other, as does straw-both will Also help wick the wet down to the pellets before it can gather for long. by regularly raking it around nothing stays wet for long in the area covered by tarp which keeps smells down. my flock is small, so their run while larger than the minimums per bird is not enormous=easier to cover in the sideways rain season. if you decide to add tarps, remember to attach at bottom first on each end then put one over the top of both so water flows over and down the areas of overlap without dripping down the inside :)
as for the fallen leaves, i stick with maple, because thats what we have the most of. i stop using them once leaf mold becomes apparent because its not good for anyone to be breathing.

hey neighbor. also in oregon. what i've been doing is a layer of pine pellets top dressed with big leaf maple leaves or straw the pellets absorb enough to prevent puddles and turn to sawdust. the leaves on top keeps the chickens busy with things other than each other, as does straw-both will Also help wick the wet down to the pellets before it can gather for long. by regularly raking it around nothing stays wet for long in the area covered by tarp which keeps smells down. my flock is small, so their run while larger than the minimums per bird is not enormous=easier to cover in the sideways rain season. if you decide to add tarps, remember to attach at bottom first on each end then put one over the top of both so water flows over and down the areas of overlap without dripping down the inside :)
as for the fallen leaves, i stick with maple, because thats what we have the most of. i stop using them once leaf mold becomes apparent because its not good for anyone to be breathing.
Hey, there, neighbor! I am curious to know what pine pellets are. I have never heard of them. Post a pic and tell me where you get them, if you have time and inclination. I will be spreading fir chips this weekend for them, but now that I know how you utilize the maple leaves I will probably rake those in for chicken entertainment, also. My run is way bigger than required, also, but I think these girls need it, as they get pretty chuffed if I don't let them into the back yard to forage.

We have a cabinet shop by us, and they let me take all of the wood chips I want. They all go into one of those big metal storage containers and I just collect them whenever I need some. They're really nice quality and much fluffier than store bought ones. I just have to get them in the evening when no one is working. If you have a cabinet shop or something near you it might be worth calling and asking what they do with all of their wood chips.
This is a brilliant idea! There is a cabinet shop near me. I gave in and bought 4 yds of chips, but I'm going to get hold of those guys and see if they would be a source.

I am curious to know what pine pellets are. I have never heard of them. Post a pic and tell me where you get them
Probably these things that Tractor Supply Company sells (or similar ones from other sources.)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

They look like a bag of pellets (almost like short pieces of pencils or dowels), but they are made of pine sawdust pressed together. When they get wet, even a little bit, the pellets fall apart and look like sawdust again.

Pellets like that are sometimes sold for kitty litter, or for bedding in horse stalls, or for various other purposes. The ones for horse stalls are usually much cheaper than the ones for kitty litter, even if they are pretty much the same thing. Any ones that are sold for animal bedding should be fine for chickens.

Pellets that look pretty much the same are also sold for burning in woodstoves or smokers. They might also work, but check the label carefully-- they might have things added that are better for burning but worse for chicken bedding.

Probably these things that Tractor Supply Company sells (or similar ones from other sources.)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

They look like a bag of pellets (almost like short pieces of pencils or dowels), but they are made of pine sawdust pressed together. When they get wet, even a little bit, the pellets fall apart and look like sawdust again.

Pellets like that are sometimes sold for kitty litter, or for bedding in horse stalls, or for various other purposes. The ones for horse stalls are usually much cheaper than the ones for kitty litter, even if they are pretty much the same thing. Any ones that are sold for animal bedding should be fine for chickens.

Pellets that look pretty much the same are also sold for burning in woodstoves or smokers. They might also work, but check the label carefully-- they might have things added that are better for burning but worse for chicken bedding.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom