Mud daubers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chi-rn, Jun 25, 2011.

1. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm knocking 2-4 mud dauber nests a day out of my coop. Anybody have ideas for controlling these inside coop? Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You can screen vents and their entrance if possible. You can spray the mud dauber's with "Pam" cooking spray and not worry about toxic chemicals around your chickens.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Screen wire it.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Unfortunately, everything is screened except the tiny door they enter to get to the nest boxes. Pam, really??? I'll try it! Thanks!

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    I use Bifen IT, the generic of Talstar 1. it is approved for use around livestock, once dried.

it is not a knockdown agent. it will kill them, but it is more for keeping them away.

I use it to spray my house to kill ants, bees, wasps (etc), spiders and all kinds of bugs.

i used to pay a guy 35 bucks a month to spray my house, but bought a quart for 40 bucks and can spray my whole house for the year. i've also used it on my coops to control ants and bees with great success.

just let it dry before letting your animals have access again

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I know the mud is unsightly, but the mud daubers kill and eat wasp. So I just let them be for they do more good than bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by