Mud management

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LipsChicks, Jan 24, 2015.

1. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    Our weather is above freezing and my run is an icy, muddy mess. If I spread wood shavings, am I going to have to clean that out or does it become part of the base of the run? I would like to grow grass back in there if possible.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, spread some shavings or straw over the mud and just leave it there. No need to clean it out, it'll break down and become new dirt. I would clean out the coop and spread the soiled bedding over the mud.
    And, as long as you've got chickens roaming the run, you can pretty much bet that you'll never have grass there again, unless you cover or fence it in so the birds can't access it. And, when you do let them access it, they'll mow it down in no time.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with the above. Chicken runs don't have vegetation unless you have a rotating pasture set up. But for the mud, I like straw better than shavings. The shavings are more absorbent and soak up the water and get moist. The straw, thickly applied, just sits on top of the mud and gives the birds a drier surface to walk on. Both will eventually break down in the spring and summer and encourage insect populations, giving your girls protein and entertainment.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I use old or less than prime hay, every so often, I rake up the run, that goes to my garden for mulch, pull out the soiled hay under the roosts into the run, and add fresher hay to the coop to absorb poop.

Keeps things much dryer

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by