1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mudd dobbers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kentucky jay, Dec 26, 2010.

1. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    im trying to enlist my kids in the chicken fun !!!! but i got dobber nests everywhere !!!!!! right now its too cold for them but does anyone have any ideas how i can prevent them from nesting in my coop ....kids wont go in coop with mudd dobbers in there !!!!!!

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] Sounds like my kids! First, if it's mud daubers they won't sting, so be sure and tell them that. I've never found a way to keep them out of the coop myself, but they will not build low mud nests if there are chickens in the coop because the chickens will eat them. I just ignore them myself.
    Good luck!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I don't know how to prevent them, but if you figure out a way- let me know! I have them all over my house in the seams under any overhang. I usually try to blast them off with a pressure washer every fall, but couldn't do it this year because of our drought. Last thing I need to do is run my well dry because I don't like to look at bug tubes in the eaves. [​IMG]

4. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    No ideal...but a quick google search said something about tacking
    some of those dryer sheets around...that mud daubers won't build
    near them.

5. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    thanx spookwriter ...i'll try the dryer sheets ,,, should they be used , or does it matter ?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by