Mudd in the coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JonBoyWhat, May 26, 2011.

1. JonBoyWhat

JonBoyWhat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Plant City Florida
    I have a hen raising 9 chicks and the pen is filthy muddy. The hen is pretty mean if i get in the pen. Should i just clean it out asap and just take her beatings?

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would go to the nearest aggie store and buy straw and toss it in,really cuts down on the mess in the coop. Its fairly cheap and goes a long way,just make it as deep as you need.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I agree, as a short-term solution (i.e until hen and chicks are no longer there/together) just chuck in some more stuff, a good THICK thickness of it. You can put it on half of the pen, then wait til hen and chicks have moved to that high ground and then put the remainder on the other still-muddy half of the pen.

Of course, when the chick-raising is over and the hen can be confined/moved/handled/whatever, you will have a substantial big job cleaning the pen OUT but you gotta do it or it'll be even worse next time.

Then, go take a look at my "fixing a muddy run" page (link in .sig below) for a bunch of things you can do -- preferably do as many of them as possible -- to prevent it getting muddy in future. In fact you might want to take a look at that now b/c it is possible that some could be done NOW to minimize how much worse it gets while the hen and chicks are still in there (e.g. trenching and gutters and extended downspouts)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by