Muddy run

Chances are you need to address some drainage issues and/or change your bedding.
Please post pics of your run.
...and let us know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614462253890.png

How muddy? If there is standing water in the run I wouldn’t let them out. Otherwise I wouldn’t worry unless it stays wet for more than a day or 2 at a time. You can also throw some straw or leaves in the run to cover up the mud.
I don’t know the protocol for feather legged chickens though. In that case someone else might have more info.

Idk if this is a stupid question or not. But if its muddy the day after it rains can i still let the chickens into the run? My flock is 11 weeks and just got into their coop but wasn't sure about letting them out yet because we had a big snow melt. I assume they shouldn't get too muddy but don't remember reading anywhere about it.
I open the pop door and let mine decide what they want to do. They know more about being chickens than I ever will.

What are the issues with a muddy run? The mud can make a mess if you walk in it. You can track it everywhere and get your shoes and clothes dirty. Your chickens might get muddy and track mud around, maybe into a nest. Like I said, a mess.

It can be slippery too, you might slide down. So be careful.

If it stays wet for a few days it can be unhealthy. Bad microbes can multiply in it. It can stink. It takes a few days for those microbes to multiply to a point where they become a problem but it can become a problem. You don't want it to stay wet but couple of days isn't too bad.

If the chickens can't get out of it and let their feet dry off they can develop foot problems. If they can dry their feet they'll be OK but constantly wet feet is not good for them or you.

Right now I can't think of any other downsides, though there probably are some. My run is slightly elevated so it drains reasonably well and it is mostly covered but when it sets n wert or rains heavy it still gets wet. Rain blows in from the side. I pretty much live with it but I did empty a bag or three of pea gravel in strategic locations so I can walk around in there without slipping down or tracking too much mud.

I'll include this link to Pat's article on muddy coops and runs. You might find it helpful. Nobody enjoys a muddy run.

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/

Can you put down a nice layer of wood chips?

Set out a few pallets, intact straw bales, and/or concrete blocks to give them something to sit on that's out of the mess?

I open the pop door and let mine decide what they want to do. They know more about being chickens than I ever will.

*nods*

This is something I've tried to remember any time I'm concerned about my ladies and the weather.

If I give them the option to be in or out, sheltered or exposed, wet or dry they will instinctively do what is right and appropriate for them to do.

Chances are you need to address some drainage issues and/or change your bedding.
Please post pics of your run.
...and let us know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2547814

Here is a run pic. Its still a work in progress but didnt want to rip up grass so once springs comes they have it.

Attachments

• 87E109AB-9D5D-4597-B2FD-9A2943B5A1D6.jpeg
    87E109AB-9D5D-4597-B2FD-9A2943B5A1D6.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom