Muddy run

Kml1223

Hatching
May 24, 2021
Hi all!!! We’re in the process of building our coop and run. Today I noticed water pooling up in a few spots after a good rain. We have clay soil so it doesn’t drain fast. Is it ok to use pallets covered with plywood in the run? I was thinking of placing 2 in front of the coop. Also I have an ABUNDANT source of pine needles and (this may sound weird) but it looks like mulch when i rake the needles up. Is it ok to use both of those in the run?? I’m ok with using other materials I was just wondering since it’s free and in my yard already 🤷🏻‍♀️

Welcome to BYC! Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters and we can give better advice if we know what sort of conditions you are facing.

If you're in the process of building then now is the time to fix the drainage before it becomes a stinky, unhealthy problem. Good catch noticing it while you've got time to do something preemptive. :)

Is the water running through the coop/run along a natural drainage channel in your land? If so, you will probably need to divert that water through the use of diversion ditches, French drain, and/or grass swales so that it runs around the coop/run instead of through it.

I put a mini-diversion ditch around my outdoor brooder the other day when we had heavy rain and I saw some puddling.
0602211612.jpg

0602211612b.jpg

Or, is the water pooling in the coop/run area because it's a natural low spot? If so, your best options are to either move the coop and run to a better-drained area or to bring in fill dirt and regrade the area so that water drains away from it. A persistently wet chicken run will always stink and is not conducive to the chickens' good health.

As for the pine needles,

I'm in the North Carolina Sandhills were people actually farm and sell pine straw. IMO, it's great chicken bedding, free for the raking in my yard and it dries out quickly on top after even the heaviest rain. Chickens are creatures of the forest floor so pine needles, leaf litter, and the like are great additions to their habitat.

However, for mud problems in the run people usually consider coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree trimming company, the gold standard -- especially as the foundation of a Deep Litter system. :)

Here are some of my ladies enjoying their most recent lawnsweeper loads of pine straw.
0602210946c.jpg

A pallet laid down in a wet area as a temporary measure is a great stopgap to allow the chickens a dry place to stand, and pallets have many uses for shade, anti-hawk refuges, and as run-clutter to help chickens work out their social dynamics, but putting them down with plywood on top as a sort of outdoor floor permanently would be an open invitation for rodents to move into the chicken run. :(

Welcome to BYC! Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters and we can give better advice if we know what sort of conditions you are facing.

If you're in the process of building then now is the time to fix the drainage before it becomes a stinky, unhealthy problem. Good catch noticing it while you've got time to do something preemptive. :)

Is the water running through the coop/run along a natural drainage channel in your land? If so, you will probably need to divert that water through the use of diversion ditches, French drain, and/or grass swales so that it runs around the coop/run instead of through it.

I put a mini-diversion ditch around my outdoor brooder the other day when we had heavy rain and I saw some puddling.
View attachment 2705589

View attachment 2705593

Or, is the water pooling in the coop/run area because it's a natural low spot? If so, your best options are to either move the coop and run to a better-drained area or to bring in fill dirt and regrade the area so that water drains away from it. A persistently wet chicken run will always stink and is not conducive to the chickens' good health.

As for the pine needles,

I'm in the North Carolina Sandhills were people actually farm and sell pine straw. IMO, it's great chicken bedding, free for the raking in my yard and it dries out quickly on top after even the heaviest rain. Chickens are creatures of the forest floor so pine needles, leaf litter, and the like are great additions to their habitat.

However, for mud problems in the run people usually consider coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree trimming company, the gold standard -- especially as the foundation of a Deep Litter system. :)

Here are some of my ladies enjoying their most recent lawnsweeper loads of pine straw.
View attachment 2705604

A pallet laid down in a wet area as a temporary measure is a great stopgap to allow the chickens a dry place to stand, and pallets have many uses for shade, anti-hawk refuges, and as run-clutter to help chickens work out their social dynamics, but putting them down with plywood on top as a sort of outdoor floor permanently would be an open invitation for rodents to move into the chicken run. :(
Thank you!!! I’m in north Mississippi and unfortunately it’s the only spot I can put it on my 4 acres.. it is a low spot but it’s not a terrible amount of pooling water. I will certainly try diverting ditches! I just want to make sure my chicks are happy and comfortable. I’ll skip the pallets for sure. And I’m very happy it’s ok to use pine needles! I have mountains every time i rake! I usually end up burning it haha. Thank you so so much for your advice, it’s truly appreciated! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom