Muddy Runs

justuschickens59

VA Royal Blues
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Virginia
What can I do with my runs? The grass has been long since gone and when it rains, the runs turn to mud. I put leaves in during fall and that helped during the winter, but now that spring is here and rain, it is a mess.

Any ideas?

Cover the run with a roof and install a french drain around it....?
wink.png

Seems to be the only sound solution I'd ever read here.

Granted, I have a 35' x 50' run...but I am thinking about fencing right down the middle of the run and only letting the chickens have access to half at a time. Similar to what some people do with horses in fields.

All of my runs have a layer of sand, then a layer of mulch on top of that. No mud, and not much of a smell at all. Works great for me.
smile.png

Paula

we have had rain here and were also dealing with
mud ,so we covered runs with tarps and tie downs
the ladies and gent come out everyday and have a romp.
with no more
rain in the run.

Ok, the kids are sockin' back Easter candy in the other room with my husband, so I took a few minutes and did a Big Ol' Mud Page (for the same reason as the ventilation page -- so's I no longer have to type this out over and over and over
tongue.png
)

Here you go:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run
I wrote it three whole minutes ago so it probably needs proofreading and editing and maybe in a perfect world I'll add some photos, but the general info is all there.

Have fun, good luck with your mud,

Pat

Last edited:
Site selection and preparation is probably the most important issue of all, when one considers the technical side of poultry waste management.

But there is also a simpler and far more sublime concept worth considering:

Have fewer chickens in the same space.

==========================================

Confinement is the culprit, as always. Chickens will denude their living space in no time with their incessant scratching. It's what they do - it's all they do. Well, that and defecating 70% of what they eat. Couple these two and you have a diseased mess, quick.

The way to beat it is to think outside of the normal box and unbind them. Undo their confinement and give them enough room, so the earth itself can begin to absorb their activities. Ideally, you turn them loose so they can roam at will.

But for most that is impractical. SO, if you cannot give them unlimited space, give them as much as you can in your alloted area. So, how many are enough?

Are you ready? - - - 87.12 square feet/bird is minimum.
More space is better. I allow double that and have never had a problem with mud or filth.

But, you can limit out on your space allotment pretty quick using these numbers. This means your next option is to have fewer birds equal to the space.

On another note, it is worth examining the following: dispense with roofs and other enclosing structures. Open things up to the air, so to speak, and add shrubbery and low undergrowth to the run. I like to think of the run as really a miniature jungle, instead of the "normal" moonscape most people subject their chicknes to.

Few can wrap their mind around such thinking, I admit. These ideas impose limits, restrictions and discipline on the "feathered aquarium effect" most are shooting for. When it becomes apparent that one can only have 6 or 8 chickens in such a nominal sized run, instead of 25 or 30 variegated birds slogging around, well........ who wants to hear that?

=============================================

When in doubt, simply do what Pat says. She knows her stuff.

BTW PAT, very nice article.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom