Muddy sloppy run- help please!

TXCrazyChickenMimi

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
East of Dallas
We cleaned the pine shavings and had construction sand delivered and spent all day Saturday shoveling it into the run. Looked great, internet said it was great so what could go wrong? Rain. Rain y’all. We had blinding rain for 4 hours today and the entire 8x20 ft run (covered with a metal roof) is a mucky muddy mess. Wrong type of sand maybe? It’s horrible. The chicks are covered in mud, their coop is covered in mud. What can we do? I’m thinking about getting a lot of wood pellets and putting them down. Thoughts or ideas please! 😭

We cleaned the pine shavings and had construction sand delivered and spent all day Saturday shoveling it into the run. Looked great, internet said it was great so what could go wrong? Rain. Rain y’all. We had blinding rain for 4 hours today and the entire 8x20 ft run (covered with a metal roof) is a mucky muddy mess. Wrong type of sand maybe? It’s horrible. The chicks are covered in mud, their coop is covered in mud. What can we do? I’m thinking about getting a lot of wood pellets and putting them down. Thoughts or ideas please! 😭
Im from Texas too. Annnd it looks like we are gonna have another round of the nasty weather.

Is rain draining into the run?
The run must be on high ground so that water does not drain into it. Does the solid roof have gutters with a down spout directing water away?
Divert water with French drains or whatever works.
Then use a thick layer of wood chips for run litter.

Last edited:
Have you tried pdz? It helps dry out the sand. We built ours on a slope so the water drains off. Maybe you can French trench drain or something?

Put some mulch in there (uncolored) I had the same problem I put down mulch and got monkey grass i no longer have that problem

Attachments

• B072F1D6-9B53-4868-BEFD-F004968E99EC.jpeg
    B072F1D6-9B53-4868-BEFD-F004968E99EC.jpeg
    913.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom