Mulberry Trees

That would be a great adventure she had two farms. One in Pennsylvania and the other in West Virginia, for the mulberry I would have to travel to Pennsylvania from Missouri it would be fun. I havnt been there in 13 years and I dont have any family to tell me the address or show me the way. In Pennsylvania she also had a big sour cherry tree I would get sick on, green apples, peaches, and pears. I still remember how to get to her West Virginia farm and its been just as long, she had apples peaches and pears there also. I doubt I will ever go back north, if I did though you bet I would get all kinds of cuttings.

they probably wouldn't do all that good down here anyways but its a nice thought.

You are in Missouri, right?? You might google climate / planting zones and chill hours with PA. I think of PA as inland and COLD compared to my location.

YOu would be amazed at what is now on the internet for records. When I was incollege I had access to the public records kept at the Univerisy for the state, and decided to research my old house, and was shocked to find that it had been in the family for several generations. You might try just googling her name and as much as you can for a town or state and see what pops up. You never know . . . . Most obits are on line now, perhaps a clue there as to the address . . .

Quote: Question George-- are the leaves pulled off by hand, or are the leaves collected after falling off the tree??

I have one meat rabbit that was the beginning of my meat rabbit project. Bought him a year ago and well he is still here and the only one. He became a pet because. well, I cant do the deed. Not a rabbit.
th.gif
He eats well though!!

Question George-- are the leaves pulled off by hand, or are the leaves collected after falling off the tree??

I have one meat rabbit that was the beginning of my meat rabbit project. Bought him a year ago and well he is still here and the only one. He became a pet because. well, I cant do the deed. Not a rabbit.
th.gif
He eats well though!!
They harvest them green. They plant them as a row crop and top them as a bush. The Vietnamese feed rabbits mulberry leaves ( I believe a white variety), and molasses blocks alone. I read study where production was near equivalent to commercial pellets. I saved a link. I will see if I can find it.

THanks George-- will have a look.

I expect rabbits are a bit like sheep and other ruminants: a carbon source and a nitrogen source, or the molasses was a vehicle for vitamins and minerals to balance the mulberry leaves. I'm just guessing as I haven't read the article yet.

Rabbits are not a true ruminant but they have a very large cecum as I remember which functions much like a rumen.

THanks George-- will have a look.

I expect rabbits are a bit like sheep and other ruminants: a carbon source and a nitrogen source, or the molasses was a vehicle for vitamins and minerals to balance the mulberry leaves. I'm just guessing as I haven't read the article yet.

Rabbits are not a true ruminant but they have a very large cecum as I remember which functions much like a rumen.
The molasses block is their vitamin/mineral block.

Back
Top Bottom