Mulch for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PepsNick, Jan 15, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I just started using mulch for my flock and am wondering if it's okay for chicks, or do I need to use wood shavings/chips as usual?

2. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nick honey, can you please be a bit more specific here? What kind of mulch are you talking about? Grass clippings? Leaf mulch? Bagged mulch from the home improvement store? Straw mulch? [​IMG]

Next, are the chicks going to be on this mulch along side of the adult birds? Is this mulch going on the inside of the coop or outside in their run?

Inquiring minds need to know these things before we can give you any kind of helpful advice, sweetie. [​IMG]

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Haha, sorry. Was in a rush. I meant in the brooder. Cypress mulch from home depot, though I was really asking about mulch... In general? I am not mulch-smart. [​IMG]

4. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Don't use cedar. It's lethal to chicks.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Personally, I would not use mulch. Many of the bags of mulch I have seen contain insecticides as well as fertilizer ingredients.

Curious, why do you want to use mulch? In the brooder for new chicks it is easy and safe to use paper towels.

6. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Or clean old rags for that matter. Might even be a bit better than paper towels as old rags can be washed over and over again. Just be sure to shake them out real well before you propose to put those in your mothers washing machine. Otherwise, she might just skin you alive! [​IMG]

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Oh, Amy... [​IMG]

Thanks everyone. Kathy, I just don't like the look of paper towels, I guess. I'll switch to shavings, thanks.

8. Dad

Dad Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    I'm using red mulch for my brooder along with paper shavings. Should I be concerned about the chicks well being?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by