Multi-species cooplex?

nikoziza

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2021
Hello! 🐣

So for the past couple weeks ive been reaaaaallly obsessing over planning what to do about a coop. I just got my first chicken about 3 months ago. He was hatched and abandoned by his mama, leaving him in a pen full of hateful hens and roosters pecking at him. (A couple weeks prior, this same situation happened and it resulted in a hen pecking the poor baby so badly she had a serious wound with some brain damage..she died sadly a couple days later). It crushed me. So when I saw Remi, my first chicken on his first day alive running scared trying to find its mother who had no interest in her baby ( I sat with him for a while to see if his mom would come for him and she never did...) so I felt that I had to take him inside to be a human. Well.. it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I fell in love with him almost as fast as he fell in love with me. He wouldn't let me leave the room without squealing sounding like someone was trying to kill him. it was sooo cute. He even had to sleep under the blanket with me. That went on for his first month. Then it happened again. and he had a sister, Ramona. Then a sister + brother, Simba + tanya clicker.
(needless to say, this hen will NOT be sitting on anymore eggs 💔), and by then... I was HOOKED. I now have about 25 chicks, Remi being the oldest at around 3 months old. I also got 3 ducklings – all of the birds (other than the 4 hatched at my friends mom's house) came from tractor supply.
And last week I met a kind man in Asheville, NC to buy 4 baby red bourbon turkeys from craigslist and due to him finding out after I was on the way (from the other side of the state) that one of the poor babies had died, he ended up just giving me the other 3 turkeys for free :love:wee

aaaannnyywaaaayysss... i apologize for the ridiculously long background information it was only to convey that I was really new to this, and yet had a lot of love and effort on my hands now lol. I used to live at the beach In Jacksonville, Florida where you cant have chickens in the city limits. So I had never even been close to a chicken or seen one in real life for that matter until 4 months ago.

I desperately need to design (or buy) – whichever you all recommend more – a coop that will work best for the variety of poultry I have. (Also, Id like to get some baby geese, peafowl, and guineas in the spring.) How would YOU tackle this. Ive seen some people have a giant 'Run' thats like fine sand.. well more so fine fine gravel.. with a few different small coops with their own smalllll personal runs for them to use at night I assume. But I also have seen people having two elevated coops with a long run in the middle with an option to separate in the center. And then others just put them all in one big ole run and coop. I dont as much like that idea because I worry that the chicks specifically will be injured by the more... dominant?... species.

soo I say all of this to ask for you most gracious assistance in aiding me and my housing dilemma...

oh. p.s. you get an extra 103 points and an evening with my baby turkey, "Turkey Lurkey" if you can include a dedicated brooder and/or storage closet or smart coop tech to the design. I know im needy.. you'll grow to love me for it I hope 🥲 I hope I didn't irritate anyone with the long post. I genuinely do appreciate your help.. seriously ! You all helped me through my anxiety when I was worried Remi was sick and it turned out to be normal chick behavior and I was overreacting. Thank you so much 💜

242615664_619351549241021_6438329331282373903_n.jpg

242591220_1130439930823220_2977832005620956167_n.jpg DBFBE02B-702D-4940-B1F7-A7C0F981ED6A_1_201_a.jpeg 93F8E711-59B4-44FC-AADE-0C5C1D47FE50_1_201_a.jpeg

Welcome to BYC.

Since each type of poultry has different space and housing needs it's probably best to give each it's own coop. Perhaps grouped to form a square with access on the inside and the runs on the outside you can attend to each one from a common storage area in the center?

Or, perhaps, a long, rectangle divided into sections for each species?

Welcome to BYC.

Since each type of poultry has different space and housing needs it's probably best to give each it's own coop. Perhaps grouped to form a square with access on the inside and the runs on the outside you can attend to each one from a common storage area in the center?

Or, perhaps, a long, rectangle divided into sections for each species?
I had a similar idea, with a room in the center that had the storage space in the middle and maybe half walls half screen so that I can view them from all from inside. Maybe even collect the eggs from the inside? and then runs along the outside

I had a similar idea, with a room in the center that had the storage space in the middle and maybe half walls half screen so that I can view them from all from inside. Maybe even collect the eggs from the inside? and then runs along the outside

That sounds like a great design.

The easier it is to take care of your birds the happier you'll be about it.

Back
Top Bottom