Multi-tasking hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Apr 12, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My dark brahma girls are very consistent in their laying. I know that if I go out at a certain time each day I'm going to find all the nests occupied by the dark sisters.
    If I happen to take treats out at a time when I know there might be some hens on the nest, I always save some of the treat to hand feed it to the girls on the nests.
    When I took some corn tortillas to the nesting girls today I found one girl standing up in the nest box and grunting from the strain of laying the egg. I fed her sisters first and then gave her several pieces of the tortilla. She took them all in her beak but didn't swallow. She went right back to grunting and a couple of seconds later I heard the egg drop onto the hay. She looked around to make sure everything had come out okay, then swallowed her treat. If chickens could smile, she was.
    My dark girls work hard to maintain their best layers status, but they're not about to miss any treats while doing it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by