Multiple chicks from same batch have strange growths on face/beak (photo included)

user425634

Hatching
Nov 19, 2020
The chicks are bantams and are a few weeks old. The mother had a problem weeks ago. Found her in the garden not doing so well, she had bumps all over her face (I didn’t get a photo, sadly) so she was put in a small pen with a heat lamp and the chicks. It looked like scabs from some sort of fight but now with chicks also getting bumps, I’m second guessing.

Out of 8 chicks, 3 of them have these bumps. They’re getting so big to the point where they cannot eat. The one I caught was very weak and had a empty crop. The other 2 have slightly smaller bumps. The mother has completely healed since and is doing fine. Is this some sort of disease? If so, what? Location is SE Texas (near the gulf) if that helps.
AB619DE6-3C62-491E-8776-63A080AFFF91.jpeg

It does look like fowl pox. There are two types. The most common is the dry type which causes scabs on the skin of the face, comb, and wattles. The wet type causes yellow patches inside the beak, and throat and can be more dangerous. Cannyou look for yellow inside her beak (it looks a little suspicious.)

It does look like fowl pox. There are two types. The most common is the dry type which causes scabs on the skin of the face, comb, and wattles. The wet type causes yellow patches inside the beak, and throat and can be more dangerous. Cannyou look for yellow inside her beak (it looks a little suspicious.)
Yes, the inside is indeed yellow.

That is usually wet or the diphtheritis form of fowl pox. It can be deadly. Make sure that she is drinking and eating, because the wet pox may expand and cause problems. You may need to remove any yellow plaques that could block her airway. @casportpony is more of an expert on treating wet pox. If you have vet care available that would be best.

Does the beak smell bad? I suppose canker could be an issue instead.

Back
Top Bottom