Multiple cockerels, when to pick one and rehome the rest?

I agree with what everyone has said. We had 3 out of 5 turn out to be cockerels this past spring. We already had 4 other roosters. So, we had to choose who to get rid of and who to keep. I would have chosen the old rooster as he is a good protector of the flock and my sweet rooster who takes care of the girls, but wouldn't take on a hawk. Unfortunately, my daughter loves one of the roosters and we ended up keeping 3. Not so fond of him, but he will be a good protector also if something happens to our older rooster. Who knows what will happen in the future, but for now the flock is at peace and the pecking order has been established. I couldn't find anyone to take the roosters and they ended up as chicken dinner by my sister and her friend who also raises meat birds. Good luck picking out the 1 who will best suit your flock and take good care of the ladies.
Also, they all crow separately and together at times. But, Luna, our 3 year old rooster is definitely in charge and then the other 2 have fought to establish who is next. Last year, it was one cockerel who was 2nd in charge and now it's the other one who is now a rooster. The 3rd in charge just kind of hangs on the outskirts and has 1 hen that was hatched with him who also doesn't fit in well with the other hens as she was the hen raised with roosters, so they hang out.

Back
Top Bottom