Multiple coops for new chicks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cathiesue, Dec 7, 2011.

1. cathiesue

cathiesue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    What do you think? I'm ordering 15 peeps. I can fence in any size area for them. Is it better to have one largish coop or would a few smaller ones work? I have read nothing about multiple coops. Anyone?

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Like one building with say 3 coops in it or 3 pins in it? If thats the case its all up to you. I would do 3 pins in one coop.

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Depends, are you breeding? I prefer mine all together, breeders have multiple coops. It's all up to you, all 15 will get along unless you have too many roos, then there could be problems later on. Good luck with your peeps!

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have 20 chickens and two coops, but I have that set up for a purpose, a whole garden/chicken thing I've been working on. I agree w/ the other poster, I would only do multiple coops for a reason (wanting to breed multiple breeds, a bachlor pen, layers and meaties etc.....)

Why are you considering multiple coops?

Oh and I just noticed that was your first post so [​IMG] from Oklahoma and [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. cathiesue

cathiesue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    Hey thanks for the responses. There's no specific reason for separate coops. I'm trying to DYI and am really challenged by plans and designs for larger coops and enclosures. BTW, my new chook total is only seven. A more reasonable number since my darling man has little enthusiasm for this project. A local man has a loafing shed for sal that has been converted with screening and a screen door in the front opening. I'd be able to customize the insides on my budget. Any thoughts?

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    The number and size and location of coops is directly proportional to the hassle you want to have tending them during bad weather.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The only real reason for having multiple pens would be if you had a reason to keep your birds separated into groups--if you're breeding specific breeds/groups/pairs, for example.

8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Unless you're breeding specifically, I'd go with one coop/run. It'd be easier to maintain than multiples. This way, you can have one feeder and waterer to check every day instead of trudging to two or more. Also, there'd only be one to clean out so it won't necessarily be as time consuming in this dept either.

We used to have 3 coops set up, but now have two... the second is going to be my breeding pen when I get around to breeding and is not otherwise going to be used. Right now, the entire flock is in one 10x10 converted shed kit.

All I can say is: Wish I'd done it sooner!! [​IMG]

9. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    Had (raccoon attack) 18 birds and 2 coops.... the first coop was built for 8 chickens, as i got more chickens i built another, bigger coop on the other end of my run... they had access to both coops... 16 of them would pack into the small coop, whichever 2 were last to go roost would use the bigger coop... they would lay eggs in the bigger coop most of the time...... never did figure out why they would do this.. even the 2 roosters would call a truce at dusk and roost together in the small coop.... if i had it to do again, i would build 1 big TAJ MAHAL......

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Ideal would be one large for all the hens and a roo. Another for isolation of new hens or baby chicks. If you want a third small it could be used for setting hens and their chicks. As you see it can be as simple as you like or you could build loads more. But I would start with one large walk-in if possible. Then later, if you wanted add more. Building cost; so stretching it out could help. gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by