Multiple Coops

Farmbabies

Chirping
May 12, 2020
SW Ohio
We will be building either one more coop or multiple smaller coops. Is there an advantage to building a few smaller units over a single larger coop? The coop can only be so tall based on the netted run height. The run is just shy of 7500 sq ft but the height in some places is only 6ft. We already have two coops about 5x8 but we need grow out space and time to see which chick ends up being a cockerel and which ones we want to keep versus butcher.

We will be building either one more coop or multiple smaller coops. Is there an advantage to building a few smaller units over a single larger coop? The coop can only be so tall based on the netted run height. The run is just shy of 7500 sq ft but the height in some places is only 6ft. We already have two coops about 5x8 but we need grow out space and time to see which chick ends up being a cockerel and which ones we want to keep versus butcher.
Advantage is that you can keep multiple breeds pure without rotating males. Disadvantage is it does take more time doing chores and more feed and water bowls

Do you mean your setup is like a large run with multiple buildings/coops inside? That's my setup (link to pictures under my profile pic) and I've found equal amounts advantages and disadvantages. Unless, you mean you have multiple runs + coops?

-Advantage of multiple smaller coops is that you can breed a specific breed.
-Disadvantage of smaller coops is that you have much more to take care of (cleaning each coop, giving fresh food/water to each flock, collecting eggs separately from each flock, etc.)

If you don't plan on breeding, or don't really mind if they mix and turn out to be mutts, I would go with a big coop.

Do you mean your setup is like a large run with multiple buildings/coops inside? That's my setup (link to pictures under my profile pic) and I've found equal amounts advantages and disadvantages. Unless, you mean you have multiple runs + coops?
Yes I have one get large run with two coops but need more space based on alllll the babies. Chicken math became real along with spending the last year deciding which breeds we’d like to keep long term.

Yes I have one get large run with two coops but need more space based on alllll the babies. Chicken math became real along with spending the last year deciding which breeds we’d like to keep long term.
Ah yes, ok. That's why I'm glad I built one very big run and the coops came afterwards as my flock population increased. I would say the advantage of multiple coops would be separation or for integration of new babies/broods, or even to house a broody and her babies safely. The disadvantages would be needing to collect more eggs, and needing to clean more space (but likely less often!). I have personally tried both "one big run and small coops" and "one big coop and a small attached run", and I've found the first option to be better for me and how I raise my flock.

I have 3 smaller coops for the exact reason you do, I'm not sure which birds and breeds I want to focus on. I like having a grow out coop, an isolation coop with a smaller run inside the large one, and one for keepers. All the birds are neighbors and can see each other. I don't have a huge flock, 14 birds total right now, so I haven't felt like it's much additional cleaning other than having a few extra waterers to fill and clean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom