Multiple Eggs and Soft Shells

amandauc09

Chirping
Jun 4, 2019
Ohio
Hello,

I have three hens (2 black sex links and 1 golden comet) that are 5 months old, one started laying in early July and the other two just started in August. The hen in question has only been laying for about two weeks now. She is one of the black sex links and her first egg was pretty small and had no shell (laid around 10PM). She has been inconsistently producing (some days seemingly laying no egg). As of 08/12 I have gotten 6 soft/broken eggs from her. On 08/12 & 13 a broken egg was found under the roast in the AM. On 08/14 a semi soft/hardish egg was found in the nesting boxes. On 08/15 (yesterday) she laid THREE eggs one normal and TWO soft. The two soft eggs were laid around dusk (8:30PM), within 10 min of each other, one was in the nesting box and one was at the bottom of the ramp inside the coop (I saw the second one fall out of her). When she laid the two soft, she was acting very lethargic, tail feathers down (very similar to how she was acting when laying her first egg). This morning (08/16) I found a broken soft egg like the ones found on 08/12 & 13.

They are being fed Layer Food, I have not introduced Oyster Shells but plan to ASAP. Just wondering if laying multiple eggs in a 24 hr period is cause for concern? Sorry for the long winded post, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Egg quantity and quality can be all over the place at the start of a laying cycle. Generally things straighten out after a week or so. Some hens have chronic reproductive tract problems. Only time will tell the tale with your pullet. Good luck to her and you.

Sorry for the long winded post
Wasn't long winded, had good and important details that were well laid out. :highfive:

What else are you feeding...any 'treats' or other foods?
Was the lethargy before or after laying the softies?
I've seen them act very odd as a softie is moving down the pike.
Is she acting oddly any other time or just around when she lays?

Generally things straighten out after a week or so.
...or up to a month or so.

Things may smooth out, or not...only time will tell.
High production hybrids can often have reproductive system disorders,
usually they don't manifest until bird is older 2-3yrs.

Hello,

I have three hens (2 black sex links and 1 golden comet) that are 5 months old, one started laying in early July and the other two just started in August. The hen in question has only been laying for about two weeks now. She is one of the black sex links and her first egg was pretty small and had no shell (laid around 10PM). She has been inconsistently producing (some days seemingly laying no egg). As of 08/12 I have gotten 6 soft/broken eggs from her. On 08/12 & 13 a broken egg was found under the roast in the AM. On 08/14 a semi soft/hardish egg was found in the nesting boxes. On 08/15 (yesterday) she laid THREE eggs one normal and TWO soft. The two soft eggs were laid around dusk (8:30PM), within 10 min of each other, one was in the nesting box and one was at the bottom of the ramp inside the coop (I saw the second one fall out of her). When she laid the two soft, she was acting very lethargic, tail feathers down (very similar to how she was acting when laying her first egg). This morning (08/16) I found a broken soft egg like the ones found on 08/12 & 13.

They are being fed Layer Food, I have not introduced Oyster Shells but plan to ASAP. Just wondering if laying multiple eggs in a 24 hr period is cause for concern? Sorry for the long winded post, any help is appreciated.
Sounds like they really need oyster shell, so put that out as soon as possible. If they don’t eat it out of the bowl, sprinkle it all over the ground and usually they will eat it before going to bed.

Wasn't long winded, had good and important details that were well laid out. :highfive:

What else are you feeding...any 'treats' or other foods?
Was the lethargy before or after laying the softies?
I've seen them act very odd as a softie is moving down the pike.
Is she acting oddly any other time or just around when she lays?

...or up to a month or so.

Things may smooth out, or not...only time will tell.
High production hybrids can often have reproductive system disorders,
usually they don't manifest until bird is older 2-3yrs.

For treats I've fed them cherries, orange bell peppers (nothing from the plant), tomatoes (nothing from the plant) and cucumbers (this week). (In the past) I've also given them apples (w/o seeds), lettuce and wild strawberries.

The lethargy was right before she laid the softies. This seems to be the only time she acts this way. I've never seen the others act this way or lay soft eggs.

Sounds like they really need oyster shell, so put that out as soon as possible. If they don’t eat it out of the bowl, sprinkle it all over the ground and usually they will eat it before going to bed.

Thank you for the recommendation and advice. I will be giving them their first O.S. this weekend (fingers crossed).

For treats I've fed them cherries, orange bell peppers (nothing from the plant), tomatoes (nothing from the plant) and cucumbers (this week). (In the past) I've also given them apples (w/o seeds), lettuce and wild strawberries.

The lethargy was right before she laid the softies. This seems to be the only time she acts this way. I've never seen the others act this way or lay soft eggs.
I'd keep the treats to a minimum, or cut them out altogether for awhile.
Layer feed is supposed to be the 'sole ration'.
Extra calcium provided by OS won't hurt and may help.

I hope she doesn’t continue to lay soft shelled eggs. Keep us posted. I also have a hen who has layed two soft shelled eggs. I need to start giving her calcium from oyster shells ASAP.
Yes, you don’t want her to lay those soft shelled eggs because that can cause a lot of internal problems, mainly infections and that is usually what causes an early death, aside from predators. I would start giving the oyster shell ASAP to avoid having to take her to the vet because of infections.

Back
Top Bottom