Multiple feeders & waterers

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I'm leaving for a trip on Wednesday and decided to make it easier for my dad to take care of the flock while I'm gone so I got a bunch of feeders. We also started using a light in the coop for daylight extension. It's set for 4 hrs so that they get enough of what they need. They have 2 waterers, 1 of them being 5 Gal and the other being a 3 Gal which I'll being topping off with water before I leave to ensure they have enough.
I also got a couple of those Little Giant rubber feed pans to help with extra water or feed if needed.
I just wanted to make sure that my dad only has to go out and check on them without having to feed/water them.
We also just finished upgrading the coop & run to ensure enough hardware cloth was on it.
I plan on setting up a second camera for the run so that I can check on them while I'm gone.
I refreshed the nesting boxes in case the hens start laying again. I told my dad to check the boxes whenever he goes out so that we don't miss any eggs.
The main reason I want to make it easier on my dad, is because his back isn't like it use to be so I don't want him hurting himself.

Anything else I should put out to help before trip?

tough to give helpful information without knowing how many birds you have, whether they’re allowed out for free ranging during the day, how long you’ll be gone and how much food your feeders can hold in total.

the only other thing i can think of is make a chicken first aid kit and a dog crate available to him in case of sickness/injury.

Over the 20years I've had chickens I now have this down to a good process. But here are lessons I learned: In an attempt to make it really easy for my house sitter I have a front coop access to nest boxes for her to collect eggs, no need to go "in," to the coop.... WELL After 30days at our Hawaii place I came back and couldn't find one of my chickens. She had gone broody and I found her in a dark corner inside the coop on the floor, sitting on about 15 rotten eggs (I don't have a rooster.) So lesson, they do need to check the coop or at least count chickens to make everyone is accounted for. I leave several big paint bucket feeders and I have a rain barrel water system so that's all good. Mine free range when I'm here but when I leave they are in the run which is huge about 1000sq. ft. for 11 chickens and I hot wire it. So far no losses.

Over the 20years I've had chickens I now have this down to a good process. But here are lessons I learned: In an attempt to make it really easy for my house sitter I have a front coop access to nest boxes for her to collect eggs, no need to go "in," to the coop.... WELL After 30days at our Hawaii place I came back and couldn't find one of my chickens. She had gone broody and I found her in a dark corner inside the coop on the floor, sitting on about 15 rotten eggs (I don't have a rooster.) So lesson, they do need to check the coop or at least count chickens to make everyone is accounted for. I leave several big paint bucket feeders and I have a rain barrel water system so that's all good. Mine free range when I'm here but when I leave they are in the run which is huge about 1000sq. ft. for 11 chickens and I hot wire it. So far no losses.
Unfortunately we can't add access to the nesting boxes from outside due to how my built the coop so...
Anyway, anything important to add to help my dad? :)

how long are you leaving for and how many birds do you have?

this will help people make suggestions for you.
Agree with this. Also, if you have any pics of your setup, that'd help. I know how to leave my own setup for 30days with only "light chores," required by someone like your Dad but I don't know if it's the same with your setup.... It already sounds like he has to go "in," your coop so how big is it? Is there a human door or is it small? Looks like you have my same climate, we're not that far from each other :frow

Agree with this. Also, if you have any pics of your setup, that'd help. I know how to leave my own setup for 30days with only "light chores," required by someone like your Dad but I don't know if it's the same with your setup.... It already sounds like he has to go "in," your coop so how big is it? Is there a human door or is it small? Looks like you have my same climate, we're not that far from each other :frow
I know at least that it's 16ft length as he used cattle panels for the frame. I'll get a good enough photo for you. And yes, it has a human door as I asked for it. The yard is really long compared to the coop as we just recently upgraded it.

I know at least that it's 16ft length as he used cattle panels for the frame. I'll get a good enough photo for you. And yes, it has a human door as I asked for it. The yard is really long compared to the coop as we just recently upgraded it.
do they stay in the run 24/7 or are they allowed to free range?

will he have to get them back into the coop at night?

are any of your chickens sick or injured?

more information is needed.

how long are you gone for? are feeders covered or if it rains is there food and instructions for replacing it? are you able to set out enough food for the whole trip without rodents/wild birds/etc getting into it?

Back
Top Bottom