Multiple flocks on same property

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mooman, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mooman

mooman Dirty Egg Eater

Apr 9, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I currently have four hens in a tractor by the house. I plan on putting 15 new hens in the barn (about 75 yards away). I will be free ranging both flocks when i'm at home and working outside. Their "home ranges" will probably overlap, but i want to keep the flocks seperate as far as housing goes. Will my "house hens" still go back up to thier tactor by the house or will they follow the crowd into the barn at night?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your q has 2 answers.the tractor hens should go back an roost in the tractor.since that is their home.an your barn hens should go roost in the barn.but in time the groups may mix an roost in the barn or tractor or both.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I think once they start to mingle, they will all follow to the barn. There is a chance that the house chickens will go to their home.... Be careful when you mix them, tho. There will be some chasing, pecking and fighting. Why do you want to keep them separated?

4. mooman

mooman Dirty Egg Eater

Apr 9, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    Mostly because the house chickens are more pets, and the barn chickens will be more livestock. The barn is about 75yds away at the bottom of the hill right next to the garden (off limits to chickens during growing season) so they will not be allowed to free range as much. The house chickens have yet to stray all the way down to the garden on thier own so will be allowed to free range more this summer. (unless they follow me down there)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by