Multiple health issues, what more can I do?

jjb1953

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2013
I have a 4 y/o Golden Comet.
She has been sick off and on for over a month. I think she is prone to egg binding but usually passes on her own.
This week I noticed she displayed symptoms more than a couple of days. Tail down, walking sluggishly and comb hanging.
I brought her inside. Her abdomen felt swollen ... it seemed to have an egg (a firmer mass) surrounded by a more gelatinous mass) gave her a warm bath. I also noticed she seemed to have sour crop .... burping, tasting etc. Crop full and squishy. I kept her inside the house in a dog crate and removed food except for a little yogurt and a dish of water. I sprinkled powered calcium on the yogurt. The first night she ate this. Still no egg the following day. Gave more yogurt. this time did not eat. I gave a little egg and some water with eletrolytes.
Gave pieces of tums for calcium. Gave another bath. This time I checked inside the vent to see if I could feel egg. Abdomen still quite swollen but I cannot feel an egg close by. She is pooping small amounts regularly ... but just small amounts.
Crop still squishy never going down unless I help her vomit. After reading it was dangerous .... I did not want to do this again .... until I read an article from an Avian vert recommending it. (sigh). I did one more time carefully.

Her appetite comes and goes. There were times I thought for sure she would be dead the following morning but then she looks better. She has had baths three consecutive days, the last one was epsom salt. She has been getting tums for calcium. She drinks. She has had some yogurt, but the last couple of times did not eat. At a little scrambled egg. LOVED the canned cat food (which I only gave because it is a fav of hers ... (she often would sneak in the house to find it).

This has been going on for nearly a week this time. Both abdomen and crop remain swollen. On her 4th night inside house.
She is up and down re energy, appetite and sick looking level. Today she looked pretty darn good ... appetite and energy up. I let her outside with the other girls. She was eager to go out. She went right over to bird feeder looking for seeds ( there is very little over there).
Spent time looking for bugs. But still off and on would just sit with tail down. When I went to shut the other girls in and give them some crumbles, she tried to gobble it right up. SO when I brought her in for the night (in the dog crate), I did give her a few crumbles with OS.

How does all of this sound? If she is egg bound, things just are not budging. I am wondering if there is infection. She I be assuming this and give antibiotics?

RE crop. So much conflicting info on this. I do have ACV here .... I have read good to give .... not not good to give?????

I went to TS to look for copper sulfate and/or antifungal. BUT ... I am asking myself, should I be giving these things if there is infection in abdomen?

I do not know if there is an avian vet in the area. Most people around here I think just tend to these issues on their own.

Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing?

Thanks

J

You're doing all you can for this poor girl. I know very well how frustrating this is for you. I've been in the same place with hens of my own.

Your hen is failing. She's getting old, and she does have multiple health problems, of which the sour crop is but one symptom and by-product of her overall failing condition.

She may well have an infected oviduct. Since you've tried everything else, antibiotics are something I would try next. Does she have a yellow discharge from her vent? This usually accompanies egg yolk peritonitis.

Have you tried miconazole for the sour crop? That usually clears it up. But it's likely to come back since your girl is sick with other things.

When I have a hen who is having a hard time passing an egg, I find that placing a heating pad under the nesting material on the lowest setting relaxes her and helps her to lay the egg.

You're doing all you can for this poor girl. I know very well how frustrating this is for you. I've been in the same place with hens of my own.

She may well have an infected oviduct. Since you've tried everything else, antibiotics are something I would try next. Does she have a yellow discharge from her vent? T

Have you tried miconazole for the sour crop?

Back
Top Bottom