Multiple Hens with chicks

daytonfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Maryland
It seems that all my girls were hiding eggs on me. Fortunately I found them before the predators. Now I have two hens with two chicks each and a third hen with 10 chicks and one more that will hatch any day now. Can I put them together or will the hens attack the other hens chicks? I'm running out of places to put these "families"

Quote:
wow-you can try and put them all together-I've had 3 broody silkie moms brood all together-the chicks ran back and forth between all the moms and the moms were great. If you try to combine them all make sure they have plenty of space..Pay close attention for the first day or so...If you see any of the moms trying to hurt another's babies ( and not just a tiny "go away" peck) separate them out. If the chicks are all about the same age it could work really well:)

Thanks Sonew123, I have the two small families free ranging hoping that they would move together
fl.gif
but the one with ten chicks I'm not letting her free range. I think she would lose some and they are really really nice chicks. I wish I wasn't so soft hearted the last thing I needed going into the winter were a boat load of chicks, but I didn't have the heart to get rid of the eggs after they already started to develop.
jumpy.gif

yu can try but if yu hens are to low inthe pecking oreder and one is above the other then yu'll have problems i know were yu are coming from have a hen sitting on 11 eggs due to hatch sept 23

Back
Top Bottom