Multiple lockdown days and overloaded incubators

Tuhmu

Crowing
11 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
So I have a bit of a problem....I had found a horde of call duck eggs my two duck hens have been amassing but not sitting on, and naturally decided to put them all in the incubator to see what would happen, expecting at least half to not develop. WRONG. Out of the 18 eggs I put in there, only 4 were clear...LOL! So I have all these duck eggs that will be hatching on top of 18ish shipped chicken eggs, that I was also expecting to have some to throw out. WRONG, all but I think 2 were developing, LOL!

Anyway, I have two incubators going right now. My brinsea and a farm innovator. I would like to be able to hatch in my brinsea, since I'm horrible with humidity regulation. I THINK I might be able to squeeze them all in there, it'll be tight though. I'd like to do that because my innovator will have some other eggs put into it this week (addict).

So the dilemma is, I have two different lockdown dates. The call ducks were set march 29th and the chicken eggs were set march 31st and april 1st. My chicks will be in lockdown 4/18 and the ducks will be 4/21 ? (first time hatching calls) so the chicks will be just finishing up or just starting to hatch when I should be putting the call ducks in lockdown, assuming call duck lockdown is 23 days....if anyone could clarify there.

So I wonder if I could delay the duck lockdown until the chicks are done or if I should do the terrible awful and open the lid during chick lockdown, to empty it out of chicks/shells and replace with duck eggs.

Oh the situations I get into!

So I have a bit of a problem....I had found a horde of call duck eggs my two duck hens have been amassing but not sitting on, and naturally decided to put them all in the incubator to see what would happen, expecting at least half to not develop. WRONG. Out of the 18 eggs I put in there, only 4 were clear...LOL! So I have all these duck eggs that will be hatching on top of 18ish shipped chicken eggs, that I was also expecting to have some to throw out. WRONG, all but I think 2 were developing, LOL!

Anyway, I have two incubators going right now. My brinsea and a farm innovator. I would like to be able to hatch in my brinsea, since I'm horrible with humidity regulation. I THINK I might be able to squeeze them all in there, it'll be tight though. I'd like to do that because my innovator will have some other eggs put into it this week (addict).

So the dilemma is, I have two different lockdown dates. The call ducks were set march 29th and the chicken eggs were set march 31st and april 1st. My chicks will be in lockdown 4/18 and the ducks will be 4/21 ? (first time hatching calls) so the chicks will be just finishing up or just starting to hatch when I should be putting the call ducks in lockdown, assuming call duck lockdown is 23 days....if anyone could clarify there.

So I wonder if I could delay the duck lockdown until the chicks are done or if I should do the terrible awful and open the lid during chick lockdown, to empty it out of chicks/shells and replace with duck eggs.

Oh the situations I get into!
Not going to chime in much, just enough to say: call ducks are generally 26 day hatchers, so yes day 23 and if there were no pips at day 23 it would theoretically be ok to push lockdown back a day.
As for the openening the bator to pull out chicks....I remove my chicks as they hatch and become active. Once they are moving, they move to the brooder. I keep my humidity up extra just for the fact I'm a meddler and I open the bator during hatch. I have had no issues with opening the bator.

Back
Top Bottom