Multiple shell less eggs

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
At least 2 of my 4 EEs started laying 2 weeks ago. I know abnormal eggs are common in the beginning but I have gotten 4 shell less eggs in 2 weeks. They are perfectly formed other than no shell. My girls get grower feed and have free choice oyster shells and occasional toasted egg shells. My older birds eggs are fine. Should I consider giving my EEs extra calcium, or not worry about it?

I wouldn't worry about it, though I would try to identify the bird/birds dropping the shell less eggs. Any chance one could be laying on a less than 25 hour cycle? Two eggs in one day virtually guarantees a soft to no shell egg. I'd also inspect for external evidence of potential infection (like vent gleet), because those things are easily addressed.

BUT! I'm not an expert. @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock 's advice, if offered, should be valued WELL above my own on anything related to bird injuries and/or diseases.

I wouldn't worry about it, though I would try to identify the bird/birds dropping the shell less eggs. Any chance one could be laying on a less than 25 hour cycle? Two eggs in one day virtually guarantees a soft to no shell egg. I'd also inspect for external evidence of potential infection (like vent gleet), because those things are easily addressed.

BUT! I'm not an expert. @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock 's advice, if offered, should be valued WELL above my own on anything related to bird injuries and/or diseases.
I'm pretty sure one of them did lay 2 soft shells in a day. We were closing up the coop and I was putting a little vetrx on them because there has been random sneezing and she dropped an egg right there on the poop board and then there was a 2nd one that next morning. She's also the only one I am positive is laying since I've caught her in the act. Her vent looks fine. I will check the other 3 this afternoon.

I would listen for any increased sneezing. An occasional sneeze is fairly normal, just like humans who get something in their nasal passage, but infectious bronchitis virus is a cause for common egg shell problems.

If you do not have any cockerels or young chicks not laying, I might switch to layer feed for awhile to see if the shells improve. New layers can lay shell-less eggs, but those eggs can lead to egg binding or an egg breaking inside.

I would listen for any increased sneezing. An occasional sneeze is fairly normal, just like humans who get something in their nasal passage, but infectious bronchitis virus is a cause for common egg shell problems.

If you do not have any cockerels or young chicks not laying, I might switch to layer feed for awhile to see if the shells improve. New layers can lay shell-less eggs, but those eggs can lead to egg binding or an egg breaking inside.
What would other signs of bronchitis be? I've checked for nasal discharge and wheezing which there is none. The sneezing is coming from one chicken more than the rest but I guess our choice of litter is dusty so I was looking into changing litters.
All my chickens pant since we live in FL and it's hot so I can't use that as an indicator.
Unfortunately, I have one young cockerel and a pullet that is 13 weeks so I can't do layer feed 😔

Back
Top Bottom