Multiple symptoms, multiple birds affected, Help!!!

Angie O

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2021
I have a small backyard flock of chickens. The oldest birds are 2 1/2 years old. We recently had a lice and northern fowl mite infestation that ran through the entire flock but we were successful at getting rid of it. A week after, I started noticing roundworms in two of the hen’s droppings so I treated the entire flock with 10% fenbendazole orally. Two days after the last doze, the oldest hen began having bile droppings. I noticed her crop was not emptying over night so we started treating for impacted crops right away. She lived for 4 days and died, never having emptied her crop completely. We also treated her for sour crop two nights before she passed. I thought it was a one off event. The day after this hen died, two more chickens started having bile poops, a 2 1/2 year old rooster and an 11 month old hen. Neither had trouble emptying their crops until two days ago when the rooster’s crop stopped emptying. The treatment: daily electrolytes, soft or grounded food, nutri-drench, rest. The rooster has gotten progressively worse, was able to eat before even through initial days of bile poops, now has a crop that has not emptied for two days, staggers (can stand and turn but with much trouble), initially had trouble staying warm (we live in NC, no reason for him to have shivers), had dry blood from only one nostril, and now won’t stand or poop. Hen had bile poops, lethargic, little interest in eating or drinking. She also has a small dry spot of blood under her right nostril (this is not common in my chickens). The hen started to recover after two days. She is a buff Orpington - has an empty crop, better poop, but in the last two days refuses to eat, must be hand hydrated, still on nutri drench, and now has two yellow puss-filled sores on the right of her face and close to her beak (this area is noticeably more swollen than her left side) . I am at the end of my rope here. No access to a avian vet within two hours. Local extension agent tried helping but she is more larger livestock experience. I started the hen on antibiotics today (amoxicillin and clavulanate). Of note, this hen stopped laying a couple weeks back, which is odd given her age. Attached are pictures of her beak. Would appreciate help!!!! At this point I feel like I may loose the whole flock.

Attachments

• 412EAC9B-EFB4-4B38-800A-BC76F820913D.jpeg
    412EAC9B-EFB4-4B38-800A-BC76F820913D.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 16D41822-80B3-414B-8284-55C46243831E.jpeg
    16D41822-80B3-414B-8284-55C46243831E.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 6
Sorry to hear about your flock. :hugs
I have no experience with treating for worms,,, Never encountered them in my flock.
From reading your description,,,, it points to the 10% fenbendazole. Did you understand, and follow the directions??
It also can be something totally other that caused all these problems. :idunno
Lets see what others have to say about this.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

Can you check their feed container for any possible mold (chemical odor, clumps in the bottom, or blue green color?) please contact your state poultry vet for a neceopsy if you lose another. Keep the body cold and take it in M-F or send it overnight via FedEx or other method. They may send you a prepaid mailer. Here is a list of contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom