Mum and Boys first time hatch!

Mumandboys

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2021
Hey.
After owning chickens (3-4) for 10 years, this April my two small boys ( 5 and 2) and I hatched 16 eggs! What an experience it was! We never expected 16/18 to hatch - beginners luck or bad luck depending how you look at it! šŸ˜‚ We are now enjoying watching them grow and prepare to find new homes- luckily have some friends after cockerels and pulleys! We have 8 left ( some boys have already gone off to new homes- they had started to cocker doodle doo!) along with our current 4 ladies and hope to put them all together in the coming weeks. Will be after some advice on best ways to do this and also if someone could advise us on the sex of the chicks which are now 17weeks!
Please be kindā€¦we are beginners and trying to do our very best!

Hi and welcome to BYC. With very few exceptions, members are very patient and helpful. Maybe take a look at this link on integration -Flock integration. This link may help you navigate the site - ā€œHow to...ā€ guides

Chat with other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).Make yourself at home and enjoy the forums.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome from the UK šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§. We have had chickens for 40 years pluss but im still a beginner , they were mainly my mums domain but after she had a couple of falls iv taken over most of her duties and found i have really gotten in to them. Iv even started breeding 2 rare breeds (ayam cemani wich are fantastically engaging little birds and derbyshire red caps but only have 2 chicks with possability of 5 more under a broody mother) i think the idea of kids raising chickens is great. I never expected just how rewarding it was going to be. Even if i have become a little obsessed lol but as addictions go a chicken addiction is has to be a good alternativešŸ˜›šŸ˜œšŸ¤ŖšŸ“šŸ„šŸ¤šŸ£

Congrats on your hatch and on joining BYC!

As far as being kind, most BYC members are exactly that. HOWEVER, as a former newspaper editor, I KNOW that the written word sometimes appears much more harsh than intended. Without tone or visual cues, readers sometimes interpret differently than writers meant. So, if some "guidance" seems harsh, try not to take it personally -- says someone who has certainly taken it personally more than once!

All of us were beginners once, and it's great to have a community like BYC where we can benefit from others' experiences. I hope we help you with all your challenges and applaud your successes. Welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom