Murderous hens

We block the door to the bunkhouse at night so the other girls sleep in outside in the courtyard and Harry Bailley sleeps where she feels safe - in the bunkhouse. No one will be able to use the nesting boxes tomorrow, but they also won't be able to kill her. She has food and water in the bunkhouse.
So I was always taught to integrate chickens at night meaning that after they go to sleep and they start to sit on the roost and they're you know kind of passed out you put the new chickens in and just stick them on the roof while everybody sleeping and they wake up in the morning kind of like oh this one's always been here so that has worked for me in the past that was just some old timer advice that I had in Ohio but I wonder if you took her away for a while and then tried to put her back that way if it wouldn't solve your issue because chickens kind of aren't smart so if they're like oh this one woke up with me then it must have been here before and full disclaimer this was speak to text so it might be messy sorry

Chickens just being chickens, unfortunately. @aart gave you some great advice. I was once transporting pullets and one was murdered before we got to our destination. I didn't know then what I know now or I would have done things differently. Chickens are more dinosaur than bird and some breeds are more aggressive than others. If you have the space it might be a good idea to separate the two underdogs.

PS I love their names. Kind of sets some of them up for the chopping block though
😆
Well, yes, it does, doesn't it? Jane Seymour, Katherine Howard, and Annacleves all met dreadful fates, may they all rest in peace. Heloise, the murdered Rhode Island Red, was named for Heloise of Heloise and Peter Abelard fame. Hildegarde von Bingen was a 12C mystic and theologian. And Harry Bailley, was Mine Host in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Detroit, well Detroit was named for a dead kitten who was named for the engine that was named for the city. Naming them is half the fun. :lol:

Well, yes, it does, doesn't it? Jane Seymour, Katherine Howard, and Annacleves all met dreadful fates, may they all rest in peace. Heloise, the murdered Rhode Island Red, was named for Heloise of Heloise and Peter Abelard fame. Hildegarde von Bingen was a 12C mystic and theologian. And Harry Bailley, was Mine Host in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Detroit, well Detroit was named for a dead kitten who was named for the engine that was named for the city. Naming them is half the fun. :lol:
I used to name my girls more fantastic and lovely things (my last flock was the ladies of country-Dolly, Emmylou, Maybelle and Wanda) but since I had a kid they have ended up with less (or more?) Imaginative names like Stripey Chick and Cold Chicken. Trigger and Nutsy are my Naked Necks because I've always wanted Naked Necks named after the vultures in the cartoon Robin Hood haha but that's as creative as I've been lately

I used to name my girls more fantastic and lovely things (my last flock was the ladies of country-Dolly, Emmylou, Maybelle and Wanda) but since I had a kid they have ended up with less (or more?) Imaginative names like Stripey Chick and Cold Chicken. Trigger and Nutsy are my Naked Necks because I've always wanted Naked Necks named after the vultures in the cartoon Robin Hood haha but that's as creative as I've been lately
Trigger and Nutsy! I love it! Robin Hood was our favorite movie when our kids were little.

Back
Top Bottom