1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Murray Mcmurray Chef's Choice Broiler

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MainerChick, Nov 21, 2015.

1. MainerChick

MainerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have backyard/small flock experience raising these for their own use? I have seen another thread here on the topic, but it wasn't overly complimentary:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/962515/mcmurray-chefs-choice-broiler

That however, was focused on the production level. I actually like a little flexibility on when processing day comes, as I may have to get them done at a local processor due to limited time. I'm also more interested in the meat flavor/quality for a homestead than I am purely in conversion rates.

Here's the Hatchery's link: https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chefs_choice_red_broiler.html

They're a little more pricey than a lot of alternatives, so I figured best to get feedback before committing.

2. FlippingHills

FlippingHills Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I don't have experience with the chef's choice broiler from McMurray but did get 50 of the Jumbo Cornish Cross. My experience was middle of the road. I got a second batch of 75 Jumbo Cornish Cross from a local hatchery and in comparison, the local hatchery chicks did much better than the McMurray ones. I processed McMurray hens at 8 weeks and they were 6-8lb each. My local hatchery chicks were 4-5lbs at 9 weeks. Health wise, in my opinion, the local hatchery chicks were much healthier as well! Hope this helps!

3. MainerChick

MainerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

What was the local Hatchery you preferred?

4. FlippingHills

FlippingHills Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Oklahoma

I live in Oklahoma so it was a place called Country Hatchery in Wewoka, OK. I like knowing the family who produces and supporting an Oklahoma business. Plus every chick (125 now) I have gotten from them has been super healthy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by