Murray McMurray's "all heavies" birds questions...

not 20 weeks for what I had.
8 to 10 weeks were what these were destined to live to before butchering. Bresse can go up to 20 weeks but prefer 16 weeks.
I know the cornish x take like 8 weeks I was asking about the breeds I mentioned in the original post... these ones; Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks; Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

Large families & cost concerns.....their is NO meat bird that comes close to a Cornish x.
And I still cant raise them cheaper than what they sell for at the store ( non-organic )

I live in the country so I can raise out DP cockerels , and Cornish x.

I have never lost a Cornish x due to leg or heart issues. Mine are out of the brooder after the 1st week, and out of the coop @ 2.5 - 3 weeks.

I love the taste of my Cornish x. Enjoy dual purpose for the dark meat and canning. We do can both Cornish X & DP.

I am totally cool with the chickens costing the same as the store (even if its matching to the organic price) we are doing this not for cheap meat but for meat we know where has been and what has happened to it! That being said the more I can get for my money the better (of course) I am also trying to be prepared and practical in my expectations of cost, I would hate to go into this thinking its going to cost x and have it turn out to cost y (specially if y is a ton more than x lol!) We kind of live in the "country" our neighbors have horses, goats and cows (we literally live across the street from a cow lol!) but our property size is such we are apparently not allowed roosters, also we just got a new neighbor and I am not sure how chicken friendly they are yet lol! Have yet to meet them they just bought the house, so I don't want to end up in trouble over roosters! I am glad to hear not everyone has problems with the cornish x having big problems! seems to just be a matter of how they are raised! :)

Back
Top Bottom