Muscovey ducklings!!!

Where can I find this flock raiser? And there was a snapping turtle in the pond not too long ago but I got it out. I haven't seen anymore since. They never bothered mom or dad. But I do fear for the chicks safety when it comes to the pond. I know she needs to wash everyday so she'd have to leave the pen. What do I do about the ducklings since they want to follow her ? I'm all really new to this so the more info the better. Thank you guys!

Just give her a small kiddy pool do you have one? Or a cement mixing pan if you make a way for the ducklings to get in an out safely that would be best I think.

Tractor Supply carries Purina Flock Raiser. You really want to make sure your new ducklings and your adults get good feed it's very important for their health. They also have different size Rubber pans that can work as a bathing tub for mama and ducklings till they are larger enough to be in the pond. I'd really check out the pond and be sure about not having any snapping turtles. They can attack adults too.

Alright thank you. I don't have one but I have a tractor supply right down the road from me so ill go check out what they have. I haven't seen anymore snapping turtles since though. But currently the babbies are bathing in a God food bowl that's big enough to fit about five at once. I change the water twice a day if not more. So from now on so I keep them all in the pen for a couple of weeks? As long as they have a bath and food. I just don't want mama flipping out. The ducklings can currently get through the bars of the pen but really soon they won't be able to due to gaining size. Or should I let them out occasionally but be sure they make it back to the pen ?

If you can keep tabs on them I'd let mom take them out she'll start training them right away. Sounds like your doing a good job too.
I'd def fix your fence though so your ducklings can't get out all it would take is one getting out and a predator being close by. My Muscovy mamas are very good mamas and do a great job with their ducklings they just can't protect them for predators. Oh they'd try hard and probably die doing it but If you can keep them safe that is the best way.

I give them most I my Time when I'm home so I'm sure they're safe and sound. My only issue with letting them out is she likes to tske them to the pond immediately because she's usually ready to wash or from what I've noticed, show them around the pond. I got worried for a second because she was posting up in the bushes on the edge id the pond for some reason but she left the area and started showing them sround more. She got to the tree and bushes on the other side I the pond and decided to stay there for some reason so I had to lure her back to the pen. But yeah I've done what I can with what I have at the moment regarding the fence. I've learned they're great climbers! What I'm thinking about doing is moving they're pen setup around a bit whenever I get the extension. The exit to the igloo/ house is facing the pond and so is the gate opening. I'm thinking about moving the face of the igloo facing a different way and same with the gate so theyll be more curious about the yard instead of the pond. Would that possibly break her habbit of brining them in the pond? It just worries me with how young they are being in there. Mama could possibly not realize one or two are tired and drown. Which I defintely don't want

Back
Top Bottom